The Whelan Captain assigned to the client site acts as the second in command reporting directly to the Site Supervisor/Project Manager and provides direct oversight to Shift Leads/Lieutenants or other security personnel.
The Captain must represent Whelan's 10 Core Values of Truth-Telling, Promise-Keeping, Respect, Loyalty, Empowerment, Discipline, Leadership, Flexibility, Quality Assurance, and Results while performing the following duties:
The Whelan Captain assigned to the client site is evaluated based on but not limited to building, improving, and maintaining relationships with clients and employees, training and developing staff, coordinating operational, logistical, and other support services, providing quality customer service to both the external and internal clients, ensuring compliance with contractual and operational requirements, and ensuring the effective execution of Whelan and client operational goals.
Contractual Requirements (Directly from Client Statement of Work)
- Attend weekly and monthly meetings as requested by client
- Conduct interviews/hiring
- Determine new hire requirements and training requirements
- Ensure that all contracted hours of coverage are met
- Ensure that all regulatory compliance records are available to Security Management
- Participate in site and community events and training that supports facility initiatives
- Provide instruction and guidance for all officers
- Recruit, staff, and train
- Supervise Lieutenants and Sergeants and daily operations
- Completes Officer time sheets and payroll
- Management of site emergency service and fire protection operations
- Responsible for maintaining all training, inspection, and compliance records
- Oversees hot work program
- Liaison with State Fire Marshall’s office
- Responsible for the Fire Station maintenance and upkeep, where applicable
- Responsible for Fire Training field, where applicable
- Homeland Security certified Fire, EMS, and HazMat instructor, if required
- Instructor for contractor orientation, lockout, hot work or confined space training, where applicable
- Management of site security operations
- Reviews and approves all incident reports
- Maintains Incident Report Database
- Responsible for developing hoshin activities and maintaining hoshin/KPI board
- Responsible for monitoring off-site alarm systems (i.e. ADS, Vanguard, etc.)
- Serves as Safety Officer for security organization, where applicable
- Responsible for Vehicle Services site permit program
- Maintains database of all vehicles operating on site
- Maintains evacuation map database, where applicable
- Communicate staffing needs via Requisition Form; assist recruiters in identifying, interviewing and hiring quality candidates.
- Work in coordination with the Project/Site Manager to develop staff in both technical and professional skills through performance management (coaching, counseling, disciplining, training, annual formal performance evaluations, recognition, etc.).
- In the absence of the Project/Site Manager assure that employee grievances are heard and resolved (with help from appropriate Support employees, as required) and that personnel records are updated and accurate (Change of Status forms, rosters, etc.).
- Assure communication of policies, company announcements and job openings through a consistently updated READ file at each site.
- Provides the basis of a great place to work by treating staff with respect.
Enforcement of Contract Standards
- Coordinate and/or conduct site-specific OJT, client-specific training, and annual refresher training for security personnel, as well as meet Whelan’s corporate training standards.
- Conduct regular (not less frequently than once every other month), unannounced inspections.
- Reconcile security logs against shift responsibilities and patrols; review incident reports prior to submitting to client and coordinate preliminary investigations.
- Develop/maintain operational procedures so that valid, site-specific post orders are always available for emergency reference by the security staff.
- Instructions and emergency procedures shall be reviewed and updated on an on-going basis, but no less frequently than quarterly.
- Manage uniforms, equipment, supplies & vehicles utilized at the account, maintaining appropriate inventories and maintenance checklists.
- Ensure security, life and fire safety standards of operation are achieved to a high standard and maintained.
- Monitor maintenance and recordkeeping for all security, life and fire safety components.
- Provide a high standard of customer service through professional and courteous inter-action with all customers (external/internal) visitors, contractors and management.
- Ensure that all incidents involving the client facility and/or its employees, visitors or contractors are thoroughly investigated and properly documented.
- Maintain and provide daily activity reports from each security officer assigned to the customer facilities.
- Maintain and provide incident reports, which will be completed and filed for the types of events or occurrences designated by the customer.
- Maintain and provide weekly time record of hours worked by all Whelan Security assigned to the facilities utilizing the Whelan payroll scheduling system.
- Enforce Whelan Security policies as outlined by the handbooks and executive memos.
Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong; It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Selective Attention - The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Far Vision - The ability to see details at a distance.
Site Specific Preferred Skills :
Basic Qualifications :
- Certification as a Firefighter I & II
- Certification as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) or higher
- Certified trainer for CPR/AED + First Aid
Basic Skills :
- Ability to communicate effectively at a supervisory level both orally and in writing for the purpose of public interaction and report writing.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standard.
- Neat and professional appearance.
- Friendly and professional demeanor.
- Ability to providing quality customer service.
- Ability to supervise the mitigation of typical and crisis situations efficiently and effectively at client site.
Basic Attributes :
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of self, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Experience, Work History, and Education :
- 3-5 year's supervisory training and/or experience is preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older as required by applicable law or contractual requirements.
- Must be able to demonstrate a stable work history with at least one verifiable positive work reference.
- Have evidence of obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Must successfully pass an extensive background screening which will include criminal record checks (local, state and federal), drug test, skills assessment test, interviews, and personality profile.
- Negative result on pre-employment drug screen.
- Must have no criminal convictions as specified under Whelan Security guidelines.
- Successful completion of Whelan’s Pre-Employment Assessment of Knowledge (PEAK).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Whelan Security - 18 months ago
With headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, Whelan Security is a privately-held, family-owned company providing contract security services...