*The City of McKinney is now accepting applications for Firefighter*
Application and submittal:
Written Exam Test Date: June 14th, 2013; Test time and location TBD
Physical Ability Test Date: June 15th, 2013; Test time and location TBD
*Applicants who meet the minimum requirements
will be notified of the test time and location via e-mail.
Applicants must have a current email address*
Applications for the exam will be accepted until May 31, 2013 with a maximum capacity of 350.
Base Salary: Recruit $48,197 Firefighter $50,734 Paramedic Pay $200 monthly
Duties and Responsibilities/Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform fire prevention, fire suppression, rescue duties and act as Firefighter-EMT/Paramedic. Employees in this classification perform highly skilled, technical level work. Position is responsible for providing life and property protection. Performs related work as required.
Must be 21 years of age by time of hire and have a high school diploma or GED and one of the following:
Neither Basic Firefighter Certification nor EMT/Paramedic Certification are required to apply. Must successfully complete all pre-employment testing. Must obtain valid Texas Class B driver's license within sixty- (60) days of hire, possess a good driving record and maintain a good driving record while employed.
- 30 Semester hours of credit from an accredited college with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- Two (2) years full-time military experience with honorable discharge (Applicants with an honorable discharge from the military as documented on the DD2-14 and who pass the written exam with a minimum passing score of 70% will receive an additional 5 points for military service.)
- Two years of full time fire and/or emergency medical services experience which includes employment as a firefighter/EMT, firefighter/paramedic or paramedic. Volunteer experience will not be considered.
Tasks involve the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing and typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavy objects and materials (up to 100 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (100 pounds and over).
Once your application has been submitted, minimum qualifications are verified. Applicants meeting all minimum requirements are invited to test. Incomplete applications result in disqualification. Applicants must successfully complete each phase of the hiring process to advance to the next step.
Application Review - The application is reviewed for minimum qualifications, certifications are verified and required attachments are verified.
Written Test - The written test is a basic knowledge test that includes reading comprehension, situational judgment, basic math, mechanical aptitude, spatial sense, map reading, vocabulary, interpreting tables and reading gauges.
Personal History Statement - Applicants successfully completing the written and physical ability tests will be required to complete a Personal History Statement (background packet).
Physical Ability - The Physical Ability Test is based on the IAFC CPAT test. There are seven events and the applicant will be required to wear a weighted vest and helmet during events #2 - #7.
- Event #1 - The applicant must climb a 100-foot aerial ladder, at full extension, touching the top rung with one hand. This portion of the test is not timed.
- Event #2 - The applicant must climb the drill tower steps a total of two times wearing an additional 25 pounds added to the applicant's vest.
- Event #3 - The applicant will drive a beam (ventilation sled) the distance of approximately 5 feet with an 8-pound sledgehammer.
- Event #4 - The applicant will drag a 200-foot, 1.75-inch fire hose a distance of 75 feet, make a 90 degree turn and continue dragging the hose an additional 25 feet. The applicant will drop to at least one knee and pull 50 feet of the hose into a marked box.
- Event #5 - The applicant will remove two saws from a cabinet, carry them 75 feet and return them to the cabinet.
- Event #6 - The applicant will lift a 24-foot extension ladder from the ground and walk it to an upright position; the applicant will extend and lower the fly section of a 24-foot extension ladder.
- Event #7 - The applicant will drag a mannequin 35 feet, around a drum, and back to the original starting point.
- Currently on probation or indictment for any criminal offense
- Other convictions will be considered case by case
- Discharge from the military under less than honorable conditions including:
Other than honorable condition
Any other characterization of service indicating bad character
- An incomplete or falsified application
- An incomplete or falsified application questionnaire
- The use of marijuana or marijuana substitute recreationally within the past 12 months.
- Selling or distribution of any drug illegally, or sold or distributed any illegal drug.
- Use of hallucinogens, narcotics of abuse such as crack, crank, cocaine, methamphetamine, ice, heroin, ecstasy, bath salts, or related drug.
- Misuse of prescription medications on a case by case basis (taken medication from family member one time for a specific ailment).
- Intentional misuse of product on a case by case basis, i.e. tetraflouroethane (propellant in compressed air).
- Your driver's license is currently under suspension or revocation
- You are not able to obtain a valid Class B Texas Driver's License
- Your driving record contains three or more moving violations or two at-fault vehicle accidents within the past two years
- You've been convicted within the past three years of any of the following:
DUI/DWI or other chemical substance-related driving
Hit and Run
Failure to stop and render aid at the scene of an accident
Failure to disclose identification at the scene of an accident
Negligent manslaughter involving a motor vehicle
City of McKinney, TX - 23 months ago