The Firefighter position augments the full-time career firefighters with the delivery of emergency fire and rescue services and public relations and education to the community. The employee is provided a pager that alerts him/her of an emergency call for help. When a Reserve Firefighter is able to volunteer his/her time, he/she reports to the station and responds on an assigned fire apparatus or reports directly to the emergency location. .
- Performs fire suppression duties by responding to emergency fire alarms.
- Assists in the suppression of structural, residential, commercial, industrial, chemical, petroleum, aircraft, vehicle and Wildland fires; applying the appropriate extinguishing agents to the source of the fire.
- Operates various pieces of fire equipment and gear for fire suppression and control; search and rescue; ventilation and salvage operations.
Emergency Medical Services
- Responds to emergency medical calls by evaluating situations, providing emergency and non-emergency medical procedures both on scene and in a moving vehicle, and transferring patients to medical facilities.
- Treat patients in accordance with established Emergency Medical Service Protocols and Rural/Metro Fire Department policy.
- Provide written reports detailing patient care..
- Participates in all required training sessions, including, but not limited to; live fire drills, performance evaluation drills, ongoing skills maintenance, practice and training, annual OSHA drills, EMS major skills and any other mandatory Company training.
Work involves serving the public.
- Work requires cooperative/supportive interaction with co-workers and supervisors.
- Work requires interaction with representatives of other departments, other fire departments and local, state and federal agencies.
- Portable radios are used as a means of communication.
- Must conduct all radio communications in a professional, respectful manner.
- Reviews paperwork for accuracy and correct process.
- Must participate in scheduled and unscheduled onsite compliance audits.
- Implements corrective/preventive measures as determined by the Corporate Compliance/Audit Committee.
- Cooperates with Internal Audit, Compliance and HR on any recommendations and changes to compliance and legal workflow issues.
- Takes swift and immediate action in accordance with Internal Audit and Corporate Compliance on any areas of concern.
- Complies and enforces all policies and procedures.
- Has successfully completed all required Compliance Training within the required time period.
- Has had no compliance related corrective action during the current review period.
- Perform other duties as directed or assigned that are specific to the local operation.
- Able to commit to attending mandatory training meetings and station drill nights.
- Commit to responding to a minimum of 30% of all pages for response and complete all mandatory training.
- State issued, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Fire Service Professional Qualifications System (ProBoard) Firefighter II and Hazardous Materials-Operations certifications.
- If assigned to an airport operation – State, IFSAC, ProBoard, or FAA Airport Firefighter certification
- State issued or National Registered as an EMT-Basic or EMT-Paramedic.
- Current ACLS certification required if applicant is an EMT-Paramedic.
- Current CPR certification
- Driving record must be acceptable after review by national Risk Management.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, fire department personnel are frequently required to walk, sit, climb, crawl, kneel, bend, stoop, lift, talk, see, hear, feel, use clear speech and operate machinery. There is a need to reach and perform moderate (20-50 pounds) and infrequent heavy (50-200 pounds) lifting during the use of tools and equipment, and while assisting others while extinguishing fires or treating ill/injured persons.
- Firefighting may require an annual pack test. The Pack test refers to work capacity tests used to qualify individuals for Wildland firefighting duty. The pack test measures aerobic capacity, muscular strength and muscular endurance. The pack test requires completion at the arduous endurance level: a 3-mile hike with a 45-pound pack to be completed within 45 minutes.
- Occasionally: Analyzing, judgment.
- Frequently: Problem solving, decision making, reasoning.
- Constantly: Work requires the ability to read and write reports, follow orders and instructions and read fire manuals. General math calculations such as addition, subtraction, ultiplication and division.
- Frequently: Repetitive tasks, high pressure.
- Occasionally: Fatigue, intense tasks
- Office: Computers, printers, standard Microsoft Windows and Office software, fire/ems incident reporting system(s), etc.
- Firefighting: Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), personal protective equipment, ladders, portapower units, hammers, chain saws, portable light, etc.
- EMS: Automatic defibrillators, Sphygmomanomer, pulse oxsimetry, angiolcaheters, stethoscopes, glucometers, backboards, etc.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed primarily in an indoor office environment; Firefighting, Medical Services and Rescue duties may be performed in or outdoors in potentially adverse conditions, such as, but not limited to: extreme heat, cold, wet, humid, and loud situations.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Rural/Metro is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.
Rural/Metro Corporation - 23 months ago