Postal/Zip Code: 50131
Des Moines Asphalt and Paving, an Oldcastle Materials Company, has been leading the asphalt industry in Central Iowa for over forty-five years. We have completed a wide variety of projects including highway and street paving, commercial paving projects, parking lot construction, custom asphalt milling, and chip sealing.
Oldcastle Materials Group (OMG)/Midwest Region
March 26, 2013
Looking for a flagger who is responsible for performing various flagging duties on construction and/or paving projects. The employee will generally be responsible for properly directing traffic in construction work zones in order to protect employees as well as property.
• Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate equipment and PPE for the task.
• Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
• Maintain traffic controls in all assigned work zones.
• Responsible for understanding general work flow patterns in work zones and ensuring proper protocol and traffic requirements are followed.
• Discuss traffic routing plans, and type and location of control points with foreman/supervisor.
• Assists in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
• Direct movement of traffic through site, using sign, hand, and flag signals.
• Warn construction workers when approaching vehicle fails to heed signals to prevent accident and injury to workers.
• Informs drivers of detour routes through construction sites.
• Record license number of traffic control violators for police.
• Follow direction of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or jobsite.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Be kind and courteous to the traveling public, pedestrians, and co-workers.
• High school diploma or General Education Degree GED is preferred.
• Previous related experience in the construction field is preferred.
• Must be at least 18 years of age due to nature of working environment.
• Must be 18 years in age or older.
• Must pass a drug screen and criminal background check.
• Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
• Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
• Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
• Ability to perform strenuous work in varying weather conditions.
• Report to the assigned job site in uniform and ready to begin work at the designated start time.
• Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
• Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
• Must have the ability to work without close supervision
• Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls
• Required to stand for long periods during, repetitively hold signs and/or flags, repeatedly use and raise arms to chest height to direct traffic.
• Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
• Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Able to work in all weather conditions.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move any where up to 50 lbs.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Des Moines Asphalt & Paving is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
Des Moines Asphalt & Paving is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.
Oldcastle is the largest manufacturer of building products and materials in North America with more than 1500 locations and 35,000...