The Registered Nurse will use his/her nursing experience and clinical knowledge to fulfill various roles in the medical services centers. Those roles will include, but not be limited to, patient counseling and administrative tasks. The Registered Nurse will report directly to the Associate Medical Director.
Key Functions & Responsibilities:
I. Clinic Operation
- Interview patients to identify specific medical problems and to answer patient questions.
- Assist with collecting data and generating needed reports as assigned.
- Attend health fairs and other clinic events as requested.
- Attend meetings as requested.
- Assist in patient flow facilitation and clinic operation as indicated.
II. Medical Services
- Assist with tracking and reviewing lab results, and notifying patients in a timely manner as directed by the medical provider.
- Upon a verbal or written order from a medical provider, renew and order prescriptions for patients.
- Counsel patients on the use, risks, benefits and side effects of any medications prescribed.
- Conduct case management as requested by the provider, including follow up of lab results, treatment plans, and assistance in providing additional community resources to patients.
- Counsel patients in areas of diabetes, obesity, and other areas of patient education.
- Provide quality customer service at all times, and communicate effectively with patients in a manner that protects their confidentiality and is sensitive to their culture and to their physical/emotional/spiritual condition.
- Work cooperatively with staff, providers, Lead Clinicians, Medical Director, and Administration.
- Work within the policies and procedures of Community Clinic, Inc.
- Assist with new employee training and on-going training for Medical Assistant.
- Arrange referrals as necessary.
- Triage patients by phone and in the clinic, and consult with a provider as appropriate.
- Using the Electronic Medical Record, maintain patient medical records in good order utilizing standard language and abbreviations and following accepted medical standards for charting.
- Perform routine nursing care to patients, when requested by providers, while utilizing age-specific and universal precaution practices at all times.
- Help ensure that medications are kept in a locked location.
- Consistently seek manners of self-education in order to broaden knowledge base of medical knowledge, including diseases, medications, and best practices.
- Answer phone calls from and provide appropriate medical advice to patients complaining of illness
- Identify patient education materials as needed for patient counseling
Requires advanced ability to read, write, speak and understand English/Spanish. Work requires continuously using problem analysis, decision making, and independent judgment, the use of discretion, creativity, mentoring, counseling, teamwork, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and evaluation skills. Professional nursing skills are necessary. The physical ability to stand for long periods of time, talk, listen, write, and sit intermittently is required. Work requires occasional bending and stooping. Must be able to occasionally lift, push and/or move 25 pounds, operate a computer including keyboard, multi-line phone and occasionally work in excess of 8 hours per day or 40 hours/week as needed.
Required Knowledge, Experience or Licensure/Registration:
- RN Licensure in the state of Maryland
- Diabetes Educator Certification is a plus.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- Clinical experience in an acute care setting
- Patient education experience
- Proficient computer skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Ability to organize, solve problems and multi-task
- Ability to work well in a high pressured atmosphere
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission of Community Clinic, Inc. (CCI)
- Ability to interact with fellow employees in a way that promotes a harmonious and cooperative working environment
- In good physical condition with the ability to stand, bend 85% of the time
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.