F&B Manager: Front of the House
Whitebark Restaurant - 24801
USA- Mammoth Lakes, CA
At the Westin Monache Resort, Mammoth contemporary elegance redefines mountain lodging. The Westin Monache is Mammoth Mountain’s only luxury, full-service hotel offering gracious hospitality, a majestic setting and Westin’s standard of excellence. The Westin Monache Resort, Mammoth is just steps from the vibrant hub of The Village where visitors can revel in the charm of Mammoth’s pedestrian-only village, alive with fine restaurants, boutique shops, exciting nightlife and year-round special events. The resort is also located adjacent to the village gondola with direct access to the mountain.
The Westin brand is built on four unique differences - tradition, distinctive hotels, products and service. We look for 'people who make the difference', a Westin legacy where associates deliver a consistent and memorable level of service all the time.
Reporting to the General Manager, as a member of the hotel Executive Committee, the F&B Manager is responsible for short and long term planning and day-to-day operations of the food and beverage and related areas. Major areas of responsibility/management include: Whitebark Restaurant, conference services, in-room dining and pool area service. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of all areas of F&B: Front of the House service and related areas.
Manage the human resources and administrative duties in the F & B department in order to attract, retain and motivate the employees. Hire, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems, provide open communication vehicles, discipline and terminate as appropriate. Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment laws.
- Financial discipline and accountability
- Superior standard levels of cleanliness and service
- Maintain, educate, and train on software systems such as Kronos, Micros, etc.
- Championing a positive employee and support staff experience.
- Creating, monitoring and being accountable for departmental budgets; includes payroll, purchases, supplies, and all other associated expenses
- Making decisions, taking corrective measures and re-forecasting budgets as required
- Implementing and/or developing departmental standards of service
- Ensuring statutory safe workplace standards are communicated and followed.
- Establishing departmental goals, quality/service control measures and structure for continuous improvement with set dates, accountabilities and targets to monitor progress.
- Rewarding and recognizing employees for following control measures, SOP’s and meeting/exceeding standard targets.
- Addressing guest/homeowner/employee concerns complaints or questions and providing solutions and follow up in a timely fashion; ensuring issues and follow up are documented.
- With assistance from people department, being actively involved in the recruitment and selection of the departmental teams.
- Providing hands on guidance, support, direction, coaching, and mentoring to departmental employees
- Conducting and providing final approval on all performance and wage reviews
- Holding regular departmental staff meetings including regular one on one's; troubleshooting and managing conflict
- Actively participating in the development and promotion of events that recognize, reward and celebrate successes, both big and small;
- Taking responsibility for daily work schedules;
- Ensuring the completion of adequate, orientation and safety training for each new employee
- Creating a development plan for key employees at supervisory levels by making use of Goals and Objectives and establishing a preliminary succession plan.
- Performing all other duties as assigned.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Westin and Starwood rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
General Skills Description
Degree or Diploma in Hospitality Management or the equivalent a definite asset
Minimum of 5 year’s Food and Beverage Management experience required.
Skills and Knowledge
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must be a strong “self starter” able to handle a fast-paced, high pressure environment, can manage time, prioritize duties and multi task.
- Considering the cyclical nature of the business, will be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs - flexibility is a key trait. This position will require working holidays, weekends and shift work.
- Troubleshoot opportunities that present themselves, always keeping the safety and well-being of the owners, employees, and property as first priority.
- Believes in and supports the ‘team play’ concepts.
- Creative thought process - looks for new ways to accomplish goals
- Effective communication skills – ability to actively listen to owners and employees, using empathy and taking ownership of feedback with appropriate and timely follow up.
- Should enjoy assisting others in the completion of their duties. Must have a very positive and supportive attitude when working with others inside and outside of the company (team play).
- Should experience a high level of satisfaction from exceeding expectations, both from an owner, and co-worker perspective.
- Candidate must have extensive technical expertise and skill.
- Exact attention to detail with all aspects of the property.
- Effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Possess strong “people” skills. Friendly, compassionate, articulate, and composed.
- Diplomatically solicits feedback and communicates information accurately and accordingly.
- Has excellent problem solving capabilities.
- Has solid computer skills and is adept in working with point ofsalessystems and Microsoft applications.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Westin and Intrawest standards.
The Westin Monache Resort, Mammoth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Intrawest - 21 months ago