Forestry Internship with Plum Creek’s Operations Support Group - Summer of 2014 in Summerville, SC
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with 6.3 million acres of timberlands in 19 states. We are headquartered in Seattle, publicly traded on the NYSE (Symbol: PCL) and listed on the S&P 500.
We currently have two unique internship opportunities for forestry students with interest and enthusiasm to work with our Operations Support Group (OSG) for the summer of 2014. This is an opportunity to learn how Plum Creek manages inventory, conducts research, measures productivity of southern pine plantations, and incorporates growth and yield data into harvest schedule modeling. (Note that this internship posting, #560, will be located in Summerville, SC, which is 20 miles northwest of Charleston. Our other Operations Support Group internship posting, #561, will be posted on 11/9/2013 and located in Lynchburg, VA.)
Our Operations Support Group is based in Athens, Georgia and comprised of Forest Inventory and Forest Productivity, two groups that work together to provide technical expertise in growth and yield modeling, harvest scheduling, inventory management, silviculture recommendations, forest growth expectations, nursery management, tree genetic improvement, and all aspects of forestry research. The OSG employs biometricians, silviculturists, GIS analysts, geneticists, nursery and seed orchard managers, and researchers.
As an Intern with the Operations Support Group , you will have the opportunity to gain valuable working knowledge and skills by assisting Region Silviculturists in assessing forest productivity, installing and measuring research plots, and getting exposure to inventory procedures. In this role, you will have the chance to travel across the southeastern US to visit various Resource Units and experience the wide variety of southern pine silviculture. You will gain practical knowledge by measuring plantation productivity, managing and analyzing data, utilizing GPS and GIS tools, and communicating results with the team. You will also be exposed to the Regeneration Group, which involves our tree improvement program, seed orchards, and tree nurseries.
· Preference will be given to a current graduate level (Master's degree) student in Forest Management or a closely related field.
· Undergraduate students may apply, but must be currently enrolled as at least a junior in Forest Management, Forest Engineering, Natural Resources or related field.
· Completed courses in silviculture, biometrics, dendrology and GIS are highly preferred.
· Successful completion of a forestry summer camp or an equivalent summer field skills camp is highly preferred.
· Must possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
· Willingness to work in all types of weather.
· Ability to perform strenuous work in remote areas on all types of terrain doing a variety of tasks including measuring tree heights and diameters, evaluating and identifying vegetative competition, installing research plots and other similar tasks.
· Ability to use MS Office programs (including Excel, Access, Word) and analyze data.
· Willingness to travel overnight for company purposes. This position is estimated to be 50% overnight travel and the successful applicant should anticipate traveling 1-2 nights each week. Plum Creek will pay and/or reimburse for travel expenses.
· Read a map and use a compass and GPS. Have a basic knowledge of forestry.
· Work well with co-workers/contractors/agencies in unsupervised situations.
· Accurately document work and communicate results.
· Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with safe operating procedures.
Position is temporary and will be hired and paid through a temporary staffing service. This is a paid internship typically starting at $12/hour, depending on education and experience. You will be required to work 40 hours/week, but there may be occasional overtime requested. The standard work schedule will be Monday to Friday from 8 AM until 5 PM, though this can be adjusted to allow for travel. We anticipate the internship to start by June 1st and last through August 1st. However, these dates are flexible and may be discussed at the time of interview. The temporary staffing service will conduct pre-employment background checks and drug screening. A valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required as a vehicle is assigned for only company use.
To apply for this opportunity, either log in to your existing candidate profile or click "Create Profile" and apply for all specific positions you are interested in. If you have technical questions or need assistance with our application process, please email our recruiting team at email@example.com .
Plum Creek is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Plum Creek - 15 months ago
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with more than 6 million acres from coast-to-coast. We are...