Posting Job Title: Freelance News Assistant – YNN Rochester
Requisition #: 143961BR
Posting Location: Rochester, NY, US
Area of Interest: Editorial
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
News Assistant - YNN Buffalo
The News Assistant is responsible for news-gathering, researching, writing and/or editing news stories for on air (multiple news wheels) and on the news channel's website as well as shooting and editing video as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes news stories for assigned news wheels and channel's website that are factually accurate, fair and balanced in content, and written in a clear and concise conversational manner.
- Ensures stories are written to the video being edited.
- Follows through on all assignments, meeting required deadlines according to the producer's instructions.
- Edits video demonstrating technical proficiency. Edits according to instructions while meeting deadlines.
- Works with Producers, VJs, Directors and Assignment Editors to create the newscast product.
- Maintains contact with outside agencies, police and fire departments, and other sources regarding developing news items and possible stories.
- Listens to scanners for breaking news tips.
- Watches content of other news stations to make certain that we have the most updated information.
- Updates producers on developing news stories.
- Consistently updates planning grid with information as it arrives to the editorial staff via email, fax, phone, etc.
- Communicates with editorial and operations staff on assignments.
- Assists reporters by setting up and scheduling interviews and providing details of interview including directions to interview location.
EDUCATION AND OR EXPERIENCE
- Answers phone and identifies potential stories.
- Research story data, summarize and enter data into PC.
- Is available to staff on an as-needed basis to provide research information.
- Keeps up to date on current events through various media sources, such as tv, Internet, newspapers and radio.
- Confirms information for news stories by interviewing, researching and calling sources.
- Provides and shares information to other news channels on general news as pertinent and on breaking news.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred.
- At least 1-2 years of newsroom experience preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fast-paced environment requiring flexibility, immediate and appropriate responses and swift news judgment.
- Stressful environment requiring patience, sensitivity and strong people skills.
- Creative, entrepreneurial environment that attracts talented people requiring the ability to listen, follow instructions, identify and meet their needs, and take constructive criticism.
Only applicants who apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers will be considered.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment
FCC Unit_TWC: NWNYC
Controlling Establishment ID: 00130 - Rochester Mount Hope
Time Warner Cable - 19 months ago
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...