The ThinkGeek UX Overlords are seeking a Front-End UI/UX Designer to maximize ThinkGeek Awesomeness™ and contribute to our outstanding online customer experience. We are looking for a creative and energetic individual deeply immersed in User Centered Design who understands how to wear the multiple hats of front-end web work to help create swoon-worthy experiences with a customer-centric focus. If you’re a passionate geek, deeply-rooted in internet and geek culture with all these qualities, you’d better apply now!
As a candidate, you must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary groups including technical, business, design, operations and customer experience. You should be comfortable working in an environment that feels like a startup, but is also a mature, widely known leader in the eCommerce space. You should like to have fun, dress casually, test out gadgets and toys on occasion, play with dogs and work really hard.
The kinds of things you'll likely do in this position:
- Design clean, fresh and current user interfaces regardless of device (mobile/desktop/tablet/etc.).
- Develop organized, standards-compliant front-end code.
- Be knowledgeable and excited about the future of HTML5 and CSS3, and be able to write cross-browser-friendly code by hand.
- Know your way around project management, including juggling multiple parts of a project and keeping up to date with all the moving parts.
- Be able to speak the language of back-end engineers, internal business clients and our customers.
- Be proactive.
- Understand customer needs and work with team members to design device-agnostic online user experiences.
- Know where all the magic whistles are in Super Mario Bros. 3.
Skills and Experience:
- Collaborate with, and support the Customer Experience team to execute both large and small-scale projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Use HTML, CSS, and JS to develop new pages, templates, and site content to continuously improve the ThinkGeek site experience.
- Execute day to day tasks and content updates to keep the site fresh.
- Assist in the building and launching of landing pages and site-wide promotions.
- Help the optimization team conduct on-site testing and conversion optimization through installing A/B and Multivariate tests.
- Assist with user research and data collection as needed (site heat maps, site metrics via Omniture, surveys, etc.)
- Help identify opportunities to improve the usability of customer interactions.
- Work with other visual designers, web developers, and programmers to achieve strong visual and technological solutions without sacrificing user experience.
ThinkGeek is a small, close-knit group of fun, weird, and enthusiastic people who run one of the most successful niche eCommerce sites on the Internets (IR #180). As part of Geeknet, a publicly held company, ThinkGeek employees receive an excellent benefits package while enjoying the benefits of working in an exciting start-up environment in our Fairfax, Virginia office.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 3-5 years of web design / front-end development experience.
- Strong HTML, CSS, and JS knowledge
- Visual design experience a must
- Experience in a fast-paced, retail eCommerce environment preferred
- Experience with Agile development methodology
- Experience with standard design, documentation, and web analytics tools (Adobe, etc.)
- Keen sense of customer experience and customer needs
- Experience working on transactional Web sites or software applications is preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Extreme Geeky Awesomeness™ and the desire to geek out with peers that “get” you.
Please note, this posting is for a permanent, full time position in our Fairfax, Virginia office. Only local applicants or those willing to relocate will be considered. No outsourcing or freelance positions for this job will be considered. Thanks for asking!
Geeknet is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law.
ThinkGeek - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard