Opal Labs is a Portland-based startup looking to change the way the world does business. We’ve developed a cloud-hosted platform called Opal as a base for beautifully-crafted, truly useful social enterprise applications. We recently released Brainstorms, the first commercially-available application on Opal, which rethinks how companies can unlock the innovation potential of their entire employee base.
Brainstorms has been rolled out to an ever-growing list of customers, including Method, BP, Ruby Receptionists, and our launch partner Arup (architects and engineers of the Bird’s Nest Stadium, Sydney Opera House, and Portland Aerial Tram). We created Brainstorms in collaboration with Arup, based on insights gathered from their employees.
We are now expanding our small team so we can continue to evolve Brainstorms and put more resources into our next Opal application. At Opal Labs, we’re deeply driven by product quality and user experience. We meticulously design and engineer everything we do, which involves rigorous user testing, pushing the limits of the latest web technologies, and sweating details into the wee hours of the night. We pull this off with a lot of hard work and, just as importantly, a lot of silliness.
To handle these responsibilities, you’ll want to have these skills:
- Evolving existing applications and building new ones using Backbone.js, HTML/CSS and (some) Rails
- Working closely with the design team to nail interactions and implementation details
- Using with Git/GitHub to manage our code, GitHub issues to manage our tickets, and Heroku/AWS to deploy our code and manage our infrastructure
- Taking part in brainstorms to help set product direction and think up the next big thing
- Reading about and playing around with technologies that we may adopt
- Lending a helping hand wherever and whenever necessary
At Opal Labs, we don't separate the designers and engineers into two teams; instead, we have one product team. We believe the best products and ideas come from a seamless integration of design and technology, and that the respective skills should naturally influence each other. This means engineers have a voice from the beginning of a project's lifecycle and designers are able to shape a project up until it ships. Some other benefits of working at Opal Labs are:
- The ability to build out clean, maintainable, better-than-pixel-perfect HTML/CSS, ideally in Haml/SCSS
- Some understanding of Ruby/Rails (the more the better!)
- Great communication (even under pressure) and willingness to be open and collaborative
Our team is deeply invested in creating a culture that promotes a collective genius, passion for perfection, and humor that our customers will feel in every pixel. There are no individual egos at Opal Labs, only a team ego that strives to change the world. If you’d like to join us on this journey, we’d love to talk with you: please email
with a cover letter speaking to why you feel this role is a good fit for you, and also include code samples or a link to your GitHub profile.
- A full-time, salaried position
- Full healthcare coverage
- Company-provided computer (laptop + display)
- Stock options
- Relocation assistance—Not in Portland, but want to be? We can make that happen!
- A tight-knit, very supportive (and sometimes very weird) team—we pride ourselves on our culture
- A fun, open office with a foosball table, great food options nearby, and regular train horns
Opal - 9 months ago
Opal-RT provides software, hardware, and related solutions for real-time simulation applications, with the aim of enabling real-time...