The ideal candidate will possess the creative and business skills for product development and identifying emerging trends for the home. The new faculty member will be an integral part of implementing strategic goals for the program and participate in administrative activities. Responsibilities will include building partnerships in the field, promoting the programs, and advising and mentoring students interested in the discipline. In addition to having unquestioned professional ability, the candidate should demonstrate interest or experience in teaching, scholarly research or instruction, the ability to develop innovative curriculum, actively participate in departmental and college-wide committee work, display a passion for the home products industry, possess a desire to convey this excitement to the students and have the desire to bring regional, national and international recognition into the classroom.
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:
• Demonstrate an understanding of the global supply chain process in relation to the soft goods or hard goods categories for the home industry.
• The ability to embrace the use of sustainability as part of the learning process.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize and be sensitive to all racial, ethnic, religious, and social groups in a multicultural environment.
• Use a variety of instructional delivery methods in the classroom.
• Demonstrate knowledge and application of team building skills.
• Embrace new forms of pedagogy (online teaching, blended classes, experiential learning).
• Include writing, research and critical thinking to form the base for learning.
• Expect and foster inquisitiveness from the students.
• Ability to apply the latest technologies to enhance teaching and learning including: proficiency in PC and MAC based operating systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, Photoshop.
• Incorporate programs provided by SUNY Learning Network (SLN) (Angel) in the classroom for face-to-face classes and on-line and blended learning.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate via the FIT Learning Platform and emerging personal and business communication technologies.
• Willingness to attend workshops, seminars and other educational opportunities offered for FIT faculty.
• Active participation in worldwide conferences for the home products field.
• Demonstrate currency and active engagement in the primary teaching disciplines.
• Create and maintain a network of alumni and industry experts who can be called upon as resources for course and curriculum development, focus groups, guest speakers, internships and placement opportunities for students.
• Implement an academically rigorous experience incorporating the integration of professional practice with classroom learning.
• Utilize a variety of assessment techniques for student work.
• Develop and integrate course content with related curricula, disciplines, and professional practice.
• Initiate learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills in a business environment.
• Maintain connections to the home products industry that allow integration of professional practices with classroom learning.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of six (6) years as an executive in the home furnishings industry. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the aforementioned qualifications.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual’s ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Fashion Institute of Technology - 17 months ago
The Fashion Institute of Technology is a college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York (SUNY), with...