The Photography Department at FIT seeks a highly experienced lens-based media artist well-versed in digital-video and still photographic processes. The ideal candidate will utilize their professional experience for the development and instruction of courses in both the Photography Department, and the anticipated interdisciplinary Film and Media program. S/he will be prepared to teach all levels of digital still photography, digital-video production, audio recording, post-production courses for both still and video, and be adept at developing critical discourse in the classroom throughout all courses. S/he will also have exhibited strong leadership and administrative skills, and will take a lead role in the long term development of the video production classes for the Photography Department. Interdisciplinary and collaborative skills are imperative; the ideal candidate will liaise with various academic departments throughout the institution in the future development of curricular activities.
We seek a faculty member who will effectively communication with students and help them achieve their educational goals. S/he will be expected to contribute to the department, school, and college beyond the classroom with curriculum development, committee service and participation in college-wide events.
Six (6) years of professional experience creating photographic and film/video work made with the expressed intent of having public viewing to include, but not be limited to, editorial publication, advertising campaigns, exhibitions, film festivals, etc.
An MFA degree is strongly preferred. Three (3) years of teaching experience in higher education preferred.
Successful candidates will demonstrate abilities in the following areas;
• Possess the ability to organize and lead committees, take on special initiatives both for the college and the department.
• A continued focus on creative and scholarly work specific to the discipline.
• Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors, and integrators of information and knowledge.
• Possess a passion for learning with the ability to inspire interest, curiosity and creativity in students.
• Demonstrate responsiveness to industry changes and/or practices including technology, with the ability to incorporate those changes into a progressive curriculum.
• Ability to use effective technology and electronic information to deliver course material to students.
• Design classroom and other learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving, information literacy skills and creativity.
• Commit to developing initiative that expands a student culture and student awareness.
• Demonstrate an ability to situate photography within greater global and cross-disciplinary concerns.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate through technology and adapt to college course management and FIT technology.
• A commitment to maintaining updated technological skills and knowledge.
• A high level of technological skills relating to software widely used in the photography and video industry.
Salary and appointment rank are based on education level and cumulative experience.
Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual’s ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is a college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York (SUNY), with...