GAO/DoD IG Mid-Level Policy Analyst/Technical Writer (Job Number: 319755)
The ideal candidate will support the SAIC contract with the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and DoD Inspector General (DoD IG) for the Office of the Deputy Chief Management Officer (ODCMO) in matters relating to or impacting DoD business operations. This individual will assist the Planning and Performance Management (PPM) team in its external liaison activities by preparing written material and performing technical writing, editing, quality assurance, and research and analysis duties in response to requests made by GAO, DoD IG, Congress, etc.
The candidate must possess a strong technical writing and communications background and must be able to use critical thinking skills to determine how to best present information logically and in a manner that fits the medium and the intended audience. He or she will be responsible for ensuring consistency across client deliverables, both in form and in content, and must also be able to perform quality assurance on team documents and discuss/suggest changes appropriately with peers and upper-level leadership.
The candidate must also possess strong research and analysis skills and must be able to identify discrepancies or differences across multiple documents, and report to peers and leadership accordingly. He or she will be primarily responsible for analyzing responses to external requests and to ensure that answers provided are relevant, address the request appropriately, and that they include the appropriate level of detail for leadership to make informed decisions.
Primary duties will include:
- AUDIT LIAISON: Coordinate between internal and external entities, including GAO, DoD IG, and Senior Executive Service (SES), on audit activities that impact the DoD. Plan, direct, and coordinate the activities of open tasks and project and the daily tracking of liaison tasks. Represent one face to the external customer in all audit liaison activities, including client site visits and visits with auditors.
- RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS: Research and analyze past audit work and responses as they pertain to current task, identifying correlations and areas for improvement. Obtain, analyze, and select pertinent information from content contributors and past audit work and responses to strengthen the relevance of current response information. Strengthen institutional knowledge of audit process and the Department of Defense through analysis of relevant reports and content.
- QUALITY ASSURANCE: Analyze proposed responses to GAO and DoD IG requests for clarity of expression, logical sequence, and grammatical construction. Assess length and tone, ensuring that they correspond to the requests’ objectives. Consult with content contributors on illustrative material to ensure that content is precise and appropriate for the medium and intended audience. Prepare revisions and independently write and edit audit materials for public dissemination.
The candidate will receive priority of assignments based on type of Department inquiry, objectives, and established policy and procedures. The candidate must be able to decipher government intent and to be able to communicate that in both verbal and written form.
The candidate will regularly interact with senior management and/or executive leadership at the highest levels of the DoD on matters impacting multiple functional areas, initiatives, and customers. As such, the candidate must demonstrate that he or she can listen well and clarify issues, is good at documentation and staffing, and knows how to build consensus through both verbal and written communications.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Bachelor’s degree required or at least 4 years experience in lieu of degree
- At least 10 years analyst experience with DoD
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, in particular, MS Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Project
- Experience developing reports and reporting requirements a plus; and
- Database and application development skills.
Other skills desired for the position:
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Team player;
- Analytical skills (data and process)
- Self-motivation and discipline
- Desire to work in ambiguous, fast paced environment
- Experience working in a client environment
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy & environment, health and cybersecurity. The company's approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of approximately $10.6 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2012. For more information, visit www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to Solutions®
Job Posting: Dec 27, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
Primary Location: United States-VA-ALEXANDRIA
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
SAIC, Inc. is a provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions to all branches of the United...