Responsible for administering the GIS database, as well as developing and deploying custom GIS applications for users of the Geographic Information System.
Essential Job Functions
Develop and maintain database tables and supporting data objects.
Research and implement business rules using constraints, data domains, triggers, and stored procedures.
Create entity relationships, data dictionaries and job flows.
Test new database software and GIS tools.
Monitor resource usage and system performance.
Run routine diagnostics on systems to reveal potential problems.
Forecast database growth and recommend solutions.
Automate routine processes and data maintenance when necessary.
Maintain knowledge of changes in technical direction and industry trends by participating in conferences, keeping active in user groups, and by reviewing vendor and professional web sites.
Develop and implement mapping applications using ESRI APIs, including Flex, .NET, Silverlight for web and mobile devices.
Prepare geographic information files for distribution via web-based mapping software.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, Earth Science or similar field of study
- 5-7 years experience with geographic information systems
- 3-4 years experience in GIS database administration
- 2-3 years experience in developing GIS-related applications for the desktop, web and mobile environments
Licenses & Certifications
- Basic knowledge of cartography and related concepts, map projections and coordinate systems
- Basic knowledge of Industry standard project planning concepts and the ability to apply these concepts to scope, schedule and budget for software development and implementation projects
- Basic knowledge of the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) standards and practices
- Basic knowledge of network and server administration concepts
- Basic knowledge of Global Positioning Systems
- Considerable knowledge with the acquisition, analysis, and maintenance of digital geographic data using the ESRI suite of software. Experience with versions 10 and above preferred
- Considerable knowledge of relational database administration including Oracle
- Considerable knowledge of web site administration
- Skill building web-based applications using Flex, .NET, or Silverlight APIs, with a strong preference for Silverlight
- Skill developing user applications with Model Builder
- Ability to work within industry standard application development processes
- Ability to convey technical material to audiences with a varying familiarity with the subject matter, individually and in groups
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) certification preferred, not required
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Four-year college degree
5 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.