Operate a variety of grounds-keeping equipment and vehicles; assist in repair and maintenance of equipment; perform routine grounds maintenance tasks including lawn care, landscaping, and repair of walkways and parking lots. Operate mini compactors and process solid waste, campus recycling material and compost; transport waste and materials to local transfer stations and compost centers. This position is considered to be essential during emergency situations and the incumbent is subject to being requested to report to work.
1. Plant, cultivate, fertilize, and water trees, flowers, shrubs and grass; maintain greenery to include trimming and edging around walks, flowerbeds, and walls using clippers and edging tools. Assist with Greenhouse operations; distribute flowers and create floral patterns.
2. Cut lawns using large power mower; operate equipment and light vehicles. Prune shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth. Rake and remove leaves; clean drainage ditches and culverts and haul debris to dumping area; assist in removing trees.
3. Pick up trash and debris from campus grounds, streets and walks; sweep and clean streets; remove snow and ice from streets and walks as required.
4. Operate mini compactor used in the processing of solid waste, campus recycling material, and compost; transport solid waste to the local dump site, recycling to the local transfer site, and deliver compost to the local composting center.
5. Water lawns and shrubs using hose or by activating fixed or portable sprinkler system; assist with spraying weed control products that do not have require special licensing, as directed.
6. Participate in the servicing, maintenance, painting and minor repair of equipment.
7. Transport summer equipment/machinery to and from storage areas. Participate in hardscape projects and use field mowers, as directed.
8. Assist in the maintenance of campus grounds, walkways, roads and parking lots as needed using a variety of light equipment and vehicles including large mowers, forklifts, high lifts, and snow removal equipment.
9. Assist the Athletic Field Specialist in laying out athletic fields as directed.
10. Participate in the setting up and taking down of equipment and materials such as tents, chairs and stages for special events as assigned
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
High school diploma and a minimum of 2 years experience operating light grounds and construction equipment; possession of a valid NYS driver’s license and demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision; experience operating various grounds keeping equipment such as mowers, trimmers, edging tools and snow blowers; ability to operated a minim compactor, lift 60 pounds, and climb a six-foot ladder are required.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested individuals must apply online at www.icjobs.org, and attach a cover letter and résumé. Questions about the online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.