This recruitment is to establish an eligibility list for the SUBSTITUTE POOL and will be used to fill future vacancies as appropriate.
Work Days: Monday through Friday
Work Hours: 6:00am to 2:30pm
Under general supervision, performs gardening and general grounds maintenance work.
- Performs general grounds maintenance work, such as erecting tree supports, hoeing weeds, raking leaves and refuse, removing trash and assuring it is properly collected and disposed of and checking for proper drainage.
- Plants, cultivates, fertilizes, trims, waters and applies District approved insecticides and fungicides on trees, shrubs, ornamental plants and flowers.
- Trims, edges, mows, fertilizes, waters lawn areas.
- Operates small power tools, such as hedge trimmers.
- Maintains gardening tools, such as shovels, rakes, trowels, clippers, pruning shears, hoses.
- Makes adjustments and minor repairs to sprinklers.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
One year of full-time, paid experience in gardening and/or general grounds maintenance work.
Any combination of training and experience which demonstrates that the applicant is likely to possess the required skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Methods, tools and supplies used in general grounds maintenance
- work and flower gardening.
- Common plant diseases and pests and approved methods of controlling and eliminating them.
Skills and Ability to:
- Safely and skillfully perform gardening and grounds maintenance
- Accurately identify trees, shrubs, ornamental plants and flowers
- commonly grown in Southern California.
- Safely use District approved toxic or hazardous materials, sprays
- and solutions.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with
- site administrators and staff, coworkers and the public.
- Be flexible.
LICENSE or CERTIFICATE
Must maintain a valid California Driver’s license and be insurable by the District’s carrier.
Must wear District approved safety gear, such as lift belts.
The selection process is open to all qualified applicants. To be considered for an employment opportunity with the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, it is necessary for you to complete an
online official District Application and Supplemental Questionnaire.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. The application is part of the selection process and is part of your total evaluation of acceptability for employment.
Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District anticipates receiving a number of well-qualified applicants for this position; therefore there will be a competitive process. Only the most qualified candidates will be considered for employment.
For those candidates invited to participate, the selection process for this classification will consist of a Performance Assessment .
Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District - 16 months ago