This recruitment is to establish an eligibility list for the SUBSTITUTE POOL and will be used to fill future vacancies as appropriate.
Work Days: Monday through Friday
Work Hours: 6:00am to 2:30pm
Under general supervision, performs gardening and general grounds maintenance work.
- Performs general grounds maintenance work, such as erecting tree supports, hoeing weeds, raking leaves and refuse, removing trash and assuring it is properly collected and disposed of and checking for proper drainage
- Plants, cultivates, fertilizes, trims, waters and applies District approved insecticides and fungicides on trees, shrubs, ornamental plants and flowers
- Trims, edges, mows, fertilizes and waters lawn areas
- Operates small power tools, such as hedge trimmers
- Maintains gardening tools, such as shovels, rakes, trowels, clippers, pruning shears and hoses
- Makes adjustments and minor repairs to sprinklers
- Performs related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
One year of full-time, paid experience in gardening and/or general grounds maintenance work.
Any combination of training and experience which demonstrates that the applicant is likely to possess the required skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Skills and Ability to:
- Methods, tools and supplies used in general grounds maintenance work and flower gardening
- Common plant diseases and pests and approved methods of controlling and eliminating them
- Safely and skillfully perform gardening and grounds maintenance work
- Accurately identify trees, shrubs, ornamental plants and flowers commonly grown in Southern California
- Safely use District approved toxic or hazardous materials, sprays and solutions
- Follow written and oral directions
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with site administrators and staff, coworkers and the public
- Be flexible
LICENSE or CERTIFICATE
Must maintain a valid California Driver’s license and be insurable by the District’s carrier.
Must wear District approved safety gear, such as lift belts.
To be considered for an employment opportunity with the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, it is necessary for you to complete an official District Application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. The application is part of the selection process and is part of your total evaluation of acceptability for employment.
The Assessment Phases for Gardener will consist of the following:
1) Performance Test (tentatively scheduled for the week of 3/31/14)
2) Probation (first 6 months of employment)
Note: Santa Monica-Malibu School District anticipates receiving a number of well-qualified applicants for this position; therefore there will be a competitive process. Only the most qualified candidates will be considered for employment.
HOW YOU WILL HEAR FROM US:
All correspondence and notification regarding this recruitment will be to the email address you provide. It is your responsibility to review, follow instructions, and respond to information in a timely manner; as if it was a function of your job.
Advanced Step Placement:
Generally, new employees start at the first step on the appointed salary schedule. When filling a permanent vacancy, a new employee may request a higher salary placement based on having training and experience that greatly exceeds the minimum requirements. Only after a job offer is accepted, may an employeesubmit a formal request for advanced step consideration. Education transcripts, training certificates, and additional references may be requested for verification purposes.
This eligibility list shall be in effect for a period of one (1) year, unless exhausted or extended.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.