The General Counsel reports to the RF President; the Executive Vice President, as directed by the President; and as an officer of the corporation to the RF Board of Directors, responsible for the corporation’s legal operations.
- Serve as legal advisor to the RF and RF senior management, providing timely legal advice on a wide variety of legal issues, including tax-exempt and non-profit administration, government and industry sponsorship of academic research, management and licensing of intellectual property, labor and employment matters, new business formation, strategic alliances, and real estate and commercial matters.
- Manage and oversee all litigation and legal aspects of all investigations affecting the corporation.
- Provide management, strategic direction, and leadership of the Office of General Counsel operations, including oversight of staff, budget and outside counsel.
- Provide legal interface with RF operations managers and the academic and business leadership at operating locations.
- Lead the legal function to provide proactive legal advice to support the RF Strategic Plan.
- Integrate the legal staff with the central office and campus staff to provide timely day to day legal support and encourage legal staff to develop solid working relationships with Campus Presidents, Research Foundation Operation Managers, and central office management.
- Develop and encourage strong, collaborative work relationships with SUNY administration (including legal counterparts).
- Represent the organization with significant internal and external constituencies, including federal and New York State government agencies, corporations, campus presidents and executives and outside consultants and advisors.
- Monitor developments in case law, legislation, and regulatory matters for effects on the activities of the corporation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Minimum Qualifications: JD, admission to the NYS Bar, or prompt eligibility for such admission within six months. At least ten or more years of progressively more complex technical and managerial experience in the practice of law, plus five years of experience in positions of similar scope and responsibility, reporting to organizational CEO and Board of Directors. Experience in non-profit, research, and higher education settings is preferred.
- Experience, confidence, leadership, and diplomacy to interact with all levels of the RF operations, SUNY, partners in business and industry, and the federal and New York State government.
- Diverse and sophisticated legal experience including negotiating and drafting complex transactions and agreements, advising on regulatory compliance, labor and employment and business matters.
- Experience in managing complex litigation and investigations and dispute resolution.
- Experience in managing a legal department, including supervision of experienced attorneys and mentoring and development of junior attorneys, budgeting, and procurement and management of outside counsel.
- Credibility, judgment, and flexibility to determine, manage, and mitigate risk.
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish tasks in a timely manner in a complex, rapidly evolving, and regulated environment with varied constituencies.
- Familiarity with issues relating to tax exempt, not-for-profit organizations.
- Familiarity with legal issues relating to academic sponsored research and intellectual property.
- Creative, strategic, and poised when facing constant challenge and change.
- Demonstrated political awareness and business acumen.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
The Research Foundation for the State University of New York is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the Research Foundation for the State University of New York are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. The Research Foundation for the State University of New York operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
State University of New York at Albany Research Foundation - 5 months ago