Position Title General Manager - Borders
Borders Store Management
Borders is a place to discover fascinating new releases and reconnect with old favorites, a place to share a family storytime or savor a hot cup of coffee. We engage our customers with a rich shopping experience where they can explore knowledge, entertainment and more. Borders employees allow our customers to connect with the books, music and movies that help shape and define us all. A career with Borders Group begins with sharing our vision to create richer, more satisfying lives through knowledge and entertainment. Those people with a passion for our product and a deep commitment to providing engaging customer service will flourish in our diverse, energetic community.
Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Borders Group is a publicly held company with annual sales of over $3.9 billion. More than 27,000 dedicated employees support the operations of over 1,200 Borders and Waldenbooks stores across the country and throughout the world. This includes our Borders Superstores in the U.S., smaller-format Borders Express and Waldenbooks stores, Borders Airport Stores, Borders Outlets, a variety of seasonal businesses, our domestic distribution centers, and our international presence, where we operate franchises in Singapore, Dubai and Malaysia, and Paperchase Products Limited, a retailer of innovative stationary, cards, and gifts.
Borders Group supports the individuality of each employee and encourages everyone to explore their talents and seek expanded opportunities. This deep-rooted enthusiasm for diversity of people and perspectives is reflected in each of our employees, and continues to be a main driver of success for our company.
The ability to motivate, instill accountability and achieve results will drive success in the General Manager position responsible for all aspects of store operations and fulfillment of company goals and initiatives. General Managers cultivate a team environment that provides exceptional customer service while directing the management team and ensuring all staff members perform at a consistently high level. Strong communication, organizational and problem-solving skills are essential and 2-3 years of experience managing a multi-format store with at least a $5 million sales volume is strongly preferred.
- Overseeing all facets of store operations.
- Driving sales, financial management, and ensuring that store profit and productivity goals are met.
- Ensuring that customer service standards are consistently met through active floor service management.
- Supervising Managers through execution of established standards in all areas of the store.
- Developing and maintaining a team oriented environment.
- Creating and cultivating a store environment where diversity is valued and incorporated into areas such as staffing, inventory visual presentation and customer service.
- Recruiting, interviewing, selecting and retaining quality employees.
- Training and developing staff.
- Overseeing all merchandise and inventory management systems to remain competitive in the marketplace.
- Analyzing incoming data reports and taking appropriate action.
- Creating and implements effective lines of communication throughout the store.
- Supporting and maintaining an open door policy.
- Maintaining a commitment to a strong community presence through partnerships with the Area Marketing Manager and other stores in the market.
- Ensuring that all store administrative functions are carried out quickly and efficiently.
- Ensuring that physical maintenance and safety standards of the store are met.
- Maintaining confidential personnel files for exempt employees.
- When necessary, acts as a liaison between the store, the DM/DMIT and/or the home office.
- Developing and implementing a store strategic business plan.
- 2-3 years experience successfully managing a medium to large multi-format store.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, preferred.
- Strong supervisory skills and experience managing a large retail operation.
- Strong commitment to ensuring that profit and productivity standards are met.
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability, and achieve results.
- Commitment to superior customer service.
- Knowledge, love and/or affinity for books, music, and coffee.
- Ability to travel occasionally for various meetings, conferences, training, etc.
- Ability to handle pressures and work long hours when necessary.
- Appreciation and respect for the diversity of all individuals in the workplace.
Borders Group - 4 years ago