Summary: Directs, administers and coordinates the business activities of a group of sites engaged in containerized cargo handling, with full profit and loss responsibility, ensuring high levels of customer service, efficiencies, productivity and safety while achieving operational and financial goals and objectives.
Essential Duties :
- Ensure customer satisfaction by identifying and meeting customer needs and by maintaining regular contact with customers through routine calls and Service Review meetings.
- Participate in the development of short- and long-range plans for the Container business unit.
- Develop and operate within approved fiscal budget limits, ensuring targeted P&L results for the area of responsibility. Direct management in achieving budgeted profit results, as well as other financial criteria.
- Ensure the implementation of the corporate health and safety program, by enforcing all health and safety processes and achieving the targeted insurance ratio results.
- Ensure that positive relations are maintained with labor and union officials, and that company labor policies and union contracts are understood and followed.
- Develop and implement financial and administrative systems and procedures designed to provide required information and facilitate internal practices.
- Maintain a full understanding of the market and the competition.
- Support Ports America sales and marketing goals by participating in sales activities including lead generation, new business development and contract development.
- Ensure high levels of productivity and efficiency by assessing internal practices and procedures and by developing and executing appropriate plans.
- Ensure that cargo handling gear and equipment are available and well maintained.
- Perform other tasks and assignments as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics, supply chain or a related field. Degree from a Maritime Academy and/or an MBA degree preferred
- 8+ years of progressive management experience within the transportation industry.
- Working knowledge of business practices and experience with developing and managing budgets.
- Experience with computerized operating and financial systems.
- Knowledge of health and safety codes and OSHA regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of collective bargaining agreements and labor relations
- Thorough knowledge of container handling equipment and maintenance.