ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS |
1. Keeps abreast of current sport knowledge and coaching techniques in designated sports; maintains current knowledge of the governing policies, rules, regulations, procedures and eligibility requirement of the District and appropriate sports athletic association; establishes goals and objectives of the sport season in accordance with established District goals and objectives.
2. Conducts appropriate meetings with students to promote the sport, explain requirements, issue and retrieve necessary forms for insurance, eligibility, physical exams and parental permission, and to discuss athletic health care, development and training, care of injuries and sportsmanship and conduct.
3. Plans and conducts regularly scheduled practice sessions during the sport season beginning of the first allowable turnout date, emphasizing fundamental skills, safety, team play and strategy and sport rules.
4. Coordinates the scheduling of activities, use of facilities, eligibility lists, transportation of student-athletes and game management with appropriate building personnel and in accordance with building athletic policy and codes.
5. Provides for safety and welfare of participants; maintains injury records and other athletic records as necessary.
6. Serves on committees, attends local and state meetings, and participates in professional organizations and activities as appropriate to the assignment.
7. Issues and retrieves athletic equipment; arranges for cleaning, repair, storage and inventory; holds athletes responsible for care and return of District-owned equipment.
8. Expends approved budget in conformance with District fiscal procedures; recommends budget needs; requisitions supplies and equipment within budget constraints.
9. Update records of team and individual records and accomplishments; arrange for school athletic awards.
10. Promotes the total sports program with student body, administration, teaching staff and the public; provides pertinent and timely game schedules and results to the news media.
11. Evaluates the sports program and provides reports and recommendations to appropriate administration for management decision-making purposes.
12. Maintains current knowledge of WIAA and Metro/KingCo League rules, regulations and league by-laws.
13. Attends meeting and clinics as required by the Athletic Department including attending the League pre-season coaches meeting and annual WIAA sponsored rule clinics as they apply to the particular sport.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient an effective functioning of the work unit.
NOTE : Additional requirements may be established by each school. Coaches must work with building administrators to ensure all school coaching requirements are met.
Reports to the building Principal/Athletic Administrator and the building Athletic Director.
- Minimum of one year of coaching in the designated sport;
- Successful completion of WIAA Coaches Requirements;
- Must be a high school graduate or have completed a GED program;
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
Preferred, but not required: Valid Washington State Teacher’s Certificate
Required Testing :
Certificates & Licenses :
Valid State of Washington Driver’s License
Continuing Education/Training :
-Valid “hands-on” First Aid and CPR Certification
-SPS Adult Sexual Misconduct Class
-WIAA Rules Clinic
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
Background Cl earance
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of basic rules, strategies, coaching techniques and skills of the designated sport; effective behavior management techniques, team dynamics and group learning.
Skills in coaching and motivating athletes; effective communication, organizing activities and giving instructions.
Ability to relate to students, staff, administration and the public; work with a wide diversity of individuals, groups and/or community; be fair and consistent when working with students; maintain accurate records and supervise any fund-raising activities.
Requires substantial extra hours, requires stamina and endurance; requires physical exertion associated with demonstrating techniques; required to travel between sites.
Please be advised that this position is for FALL Season of the 2013-2014 school year
Seattle Public Schools - 18 months ago