The Mid-America Regional Council, the bi-state Kansas City area's metropolitan planning organization and voluntary association of local governments, is seeking a qualified individual to work with neighborhood leaders and support housing and workforce development for the Green Impact Zone.Â The Green Impact Zone is a 150-block area of central Kansas City, Missouri. The Green Impact Zone program is designed to work with community stakeholders to improve economic opportunity for residents and create a sustainable community. This position will assist the Green Impact Zone Director and Assistant Director in implementing initiatives within the zone. Currently, the position is funded through December 31, 2013. This position could be structured as either a full-time employee with benefits or as a contractor.
Illustrative examples of work
The following represents the essential functions of this position. Additional duties may also be assigned and be essential to the successful performance of this position.
Serve as a Resource for the Zone on Housing and Community Development Programs/Services
Serve as a Resource for Workforce Development
- In concert with other MARC staff, consultants and community and neighborhood organizations, support the ongoing planning for housing reinvestment in the zone, work with consultants on plans and project design, and help identify implementation steps to advance housing projects to construction.
- Establish and strengthen relationships with city, county, state, and federal government agencies; and nonprofit and for-profit programs to support housing and community development reinvestment initiatives of the Green Impact Zone.
- Develop and maintain information on available funding and support services and how to access those resources. Gain an in-depth understanding of eligibility requirements and application procedures. Prepare grant applications as appropriate.
Build Relationships with Neighborhoods, Community Representatives and Employers
- Work with the community college, workforce agencies, employers and others to support training and employment for zone residents.
- Support delivery of an Essential Employability Skills training program for zone residents
- Work for government and other community leaders to address barriers to employment for zone residents.
Ideal candidate will have a minimum of four years progressive experience in community development. An undergraduate degree in planning, public administration, social work, education, communication, business administration or a related field is required; a master’s degree is preferred. Candidate must have strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, ability to build relationships and gain trust from a wide variety of stakeholders, excellent time management skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously. Candidate must possess a strong customer service orientation and a thorough attention to detail. The ideal candidate will have the ability to deal with diverse populations, and a passion for serving disadvantaged populations. Due to the nature of this work it is mandatory that candidate work non-traditional hours on a regular basis, to include evenings and weekends. Â
- Develop working relationship with community organizations that support the zone’s work in housing and community development.
- Develop relationships with the leadership of each neighborhood in the Green Impact Zone and be viewed as a source and connection to resources.
- Meet regularly with community groups and organizations to coordinate and convey information.
- Provide reports to supervisor on issues and recommendations for follow-up.
- Provide follow-up to groups on actions taken to respond to inquiries or requests.
Starting salary is $42,514 to $53,142, depending upon qualifications. MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment along with a competitive fringe benefit package.Â For more information about the program and to apply please visit our website at www.marc.org/jobs .Â EOE Employer /M/F/V/D
Mid-America Regional Council - 13 months ago