High School Diploma or GED
5+ years of experience
- Job Summary
- Under the direction of the Technical Coordinator and/or the Pathologist (Technical Supervisor) the Gross Room Assistant performs pathology procedures that assist the pathologist with their daily duties. These duties include but are not limited to autopsy examinations and physical examination/description of tissue including color, weight, measurement and characteristics. The Gross Room Assistant makes independent decisions, recognizes abnormal findings and pursues advice from the pathologist on cases that are questionable or uncertain to the individual.
- Qualifications Required
- High School diploma or GED required. BS preferred.
- 5 years experience required.
- Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Demonstrates judgement in performing routine duties of tissue examination and recognizing abnormalities. Discussing these findings with a pathologist. Address issue associated with autopsy cases in a satisfactory manner being understanding to the family needs while providing a professional demeanor at all times.
- Strong communication skills, with a high level of integrity and patient confidentiality is required when dealing with families, other healthcare providers and local police departments.
- Physical Demands
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time. Ability to stand, walk, and move throughout the department and hospital campus. Ability to reach with hands and arms. Sensory ability: sight to see computer screen; auditory to hear speech and understand speech in person and on the phone. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.