Organization: The Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Houston Zoo is accepting applications for: Grounds & Housekeeping Supervisor-Special Events
TO APPLY - Please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/careers to complete the online appliation process. Please submit a resume with your application.
This position is responsible for the supervision of the Grounds and Housekeeping crews, ensuring that special event support needs are met and ensures the highest degree of zoo cleanliness. Department is responsible for maintaining the Zoo's beautiful grounds and providing facilities upkeep. The Grounds and Housekeeping department staff’s duties include mowing, trash removal, recycling and special events setup.
-Supervises, coordinates, and monitors work schedules/assignments of grounds and housekeeping crews.
-Supervises crews engaged in the daily performance of grounds maintenance and janitorial maintenance.
-Compiles, prepares and submits required reports.
-Inspects quality of work performed by crews and contractors in area of responsibility and prepares reports concerning the work.
-Interviews and selects employees and conducts performance reviews.
-Trains workers in work procedures and requirements.
-Establishes work standards and procedures and evaluates results.
-Investigates and responds to guest and staff complaints in a timely manner.
-Orders supplies, parts, chemicals and other materials.
-Maintains various records and reports to monitor and tract work activities.
-Responds to all Ranger requests in a timely manner.
-Responsible for keeping fleet of carts clean and organized.
-Promote the importance of a great guest experience to staff
-Handle all staff complaints in a timely manner
-Works closely with the Special Events staff to ensure all events are a success
-Supervise grounds and housekeeping crews outside of special event situations.
SHIFT SUPERVISION DUTIES-
1. Supervises Grounds and Housekeeping crews, ensuring that grounds and facilities are clean and orderly.
2. Provides shift supervision over both the grounds and housekeeping teams.
3. Grounds and Housekeeping quality control inspections.
4. Discipline/counsel team members, as needed.
SPECIAL EVENT DUTIES-
1. Coordinates and facilitates special events with Houston Zoo Special Events department.
2. Schedules and maintains communication and event needs with Grounds and Housekeeping teams as part of supporting role in Houston Zoo special events.
3. Coordinates and monitors event timelines.
4. Reviews and maintain special events inventory (i.e. tables, chairs, tents, banner stands, etc.).
5. Attends weekly Special Events meetings and represents Building & Grounds department with service groups.
6. Acts as primary department contact for coordination of Houston Zoo activities and special events.
3 - 5 years of supervisory experience in a similar operational position required.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Proficient wtih computers and Microsoft Office programs
High School diploma or GED is required (Bachelor's degree is preferred)
Bilingual a plus
Valid Texas driver's license and comply with the policy on driving
The Houston Zoo is located on a 55 acre campus and is open 365 days a year. The amount of time working indoors versus outdoors, weekends and holidays will vary with the times of year and based on operational needs. Outdoor work environments are exposed to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpredictable weather conditions. The position may involve periodic exposure to chemical substances.
Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
Requires heavy public contact requiring considerable interpersonal skill, extensive interaction with the public and with donors, members and the press requiring a high degree of appreciation of customer service.
Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- 3 years ago - save job