Do you enjoy working outdoors?
Are you someone who loves to spend time maintaining your yard?
If so, we could have the perfect fit for you! The Facilities Department now has an opening for the Grounds Technician I. The Grounds Technician I will be responsible for the maintenance of grounds on the Ashford University campus and athletic areas. This is a part-time employment opportunity.
The Grounds Technician I position is a full-time employment opportunity. In accordance with Ashford University policies and procedures, this position is responsible for performing the day-to-day maintenance of grounds for all campus buildings and athletic areas as well as assigned work areas. Specific responsibilities for each individual will be determined by the Custodial Manager.
Essential Job Duties:
• Performs daily and periodic tasks in assigned areas as directed.
• Performs all cleaning assignments in accordance with Ashford University’s approved procedures.
• Maintains cleaning equipment in good working condition, and notifies the Maintenance Manager if repair or replacement is necessary.
• Works safely at all times and promptly informs management about unsafe conditions existing in the work area.
• Wears personal protective equipment appropriate for the task being performed.
• Meets Ashford University quality expectations in assigned tasks.
• Assists in orientation and training for new employees as directed.
• Adheres to proper security procedures.
• Notifies management about problems or opportunities that affect Ashford University.
• Cuts lawns, using hand mower or power mower.
• Trims and edges around walks, flower beds, and walls, using clippers, weed cutters, and edging tools.
• Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damage leaves, branches, or twigs, using shears, pruning shears or chain saw.
• Sprays lawn, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticides, using hand or automatic sprayer.
• Rakes or bags leafs.
• Cleans grounds and removes litter, using spiked stick or broom.
• Plants grass, flowers, trees and shrubs using gardening tools.
• Waters lawn and shrubs, using hose or by activating fixed or portable sprinkler system.
• Repairs fences, gates, walks, using carpentry and masonry tools.
• Cleans out drainage ditches and culverts, using shovel and rake.
• Ground maintenance using tractor equipped with attachments, such as mowers, lime or fertilizer spreaders, and lawn roller.
• Sharpens tools such as weed cutters, edging tools, and shears, using file or knife sharpener.
• Performs a variety of labor duties as required.
• Performs all assignments in accordance with Ashford University’s approved procedures.
• Meets all Ashford University quality expectations in assigned tasks.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Adherence to industry safety standards and requirements of Bridgepoint Education is required at all times.
• Requires attention to detail, a pride in delivering excellent service, organization, and high levels of energy and endurance.
• Must be able to take direction, to work with minimal supervision, and to function cooperatively as part of a team.
• Ability to speak and read English.
• 0-2 years experience in Landscaping, grounds keeping, or parks and gardens ground are a plus.
• 0-2 years experience in Experienced with industry specific tools, equipment and work processes are a plus.
• A minimum of a High School diploma or GED preferred.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Physical Requirements :
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed a t 2011 AU Campus and Safety Report . The report includes certain campus safety policies and statistics
on reportable crimes and incidents that occurred on campus, in certain
off-campus buildings, and on public property immediately adjacent to campus or
accessible from campus for three previous years. The policies include
campus security policies, crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and
sexual assault, among others. To obtain a paper copy of the report,
please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...