We are now hiring for a Maintenance Groundskeeper for the spring and summer season.
MAINTENANCE GROUNDSKEEPER (seasonal)
The Maintenance Groundskeeper's primary responsibility is to maintain the beauty and cleanliness of the Highland Center grounds, while also being responsible for routine light-maintenance duties including but not limited to: changing light bulbs, turning compost and maintaining the composting toilet systems. At times this will include heavy lifting such as snow shoveling, stacking firewood, feeding the wood boiler and handling recycling at the town Transfer Station. The Maintenance Groundskeeper should communicate effectively with all those working within the Maintenance department and Highland Center Management team. This position is seasonal with an average of 40 hours work per week, occasionally more depending on the season and lodge needs.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Occasionally aid housekeeping staff with cleaning guest room and making bed in main lodge.
· The organization and transportation of recyclables to local transfer station.
· Maintenance of Clivus composting toilet system.
· Landscaping including but not limited to: seeding, mowing, edging, watering,
· Show removal: shoveling and sanding/salting of all stairs, and entrances. Responsible for removal of all litter in all areas of Highland Center, including parking lot.
Assist housekeeping and maintenance with special cleaning projects including work at high elevations, routine weekly maintenance.
· Wood Boiler Maintenance: restock wood for furnace and at times maintain the fire in the furnace.
· And any other duties as requested by the Highland Center Management Staff as needed.
· Organization and transportation of recycling to local transfer station.
This job specification should not be constructed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as required by their supervisor or the cooks.
- Any combination of education and experience which provides the required skills and knowledge for successful job performance.
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with people of different backgrounds are strongly preferred.
- Physical Abilities required: Ability to stand, sit, walk, move freely and climb stairs unassisted. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds from floor to chest height. Ability to travel safely on rough terrain.
· A general understanding of the AMC and its mission is preferred.
· Experience driving vans with a trailer and a small construction tractor is preferred.
· Valid US driver’s license required. You will need to pass a Department of Transportation medical exam and a club review of your driving record.
AMC has zero tolerance for the abuse of children. Any employee with access to children will have a criminal record check performed and have references checked regarding their past work with children.
· Use of AMC lodges and backcountry facilities, free and discounted rates
· Room and Board is available at the Highland Center. Note: must be 18 years old at time of hire to live on site.
Appalachian Mountain Club - 17 months ago