Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. Mandarin Oriental now operates, or has under development, 41 hotels representing over 10,000 rooms in 26 countries, with 18 hotels in Asia, 12 in The Americas and 11 in Europe and Middle East. In addition, the Group operates, or has under development, 12 Residences at Mandarin Oriental connected to its properties.
The 158-room Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco is located in the heart of the city and offers unparalleled panoramic views of the bay and beyond from the top 11 floors of San Francisco's third tallest building, 345 California Center. Having recently completed an extensive refurbishment during its 25 th Anniversary year with the addition of Brasserie S&P restaurant and bar, and an 8,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center , the hotel is consistently ranked among the world's top hotels by leading authorities. Features include Institutional Investor's 'World's Best Hotels 2012', Conde Nast Traveler Readers Choice Awards 2012 'Top 25 Hotels in N. California', Travel + Leisure 'World's Best Hotels' Awards 2011, U.S. News & World Report's ' Hotels in the USA', and is one of Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report's 2011 'Top 20 City Hotels in the World'.
The Group Sales Manager is expected to manage and prospect for group business in order to meet and exceed annual and monthly budgeted room revenue and food and beverage revenue assigned to this market segment. Additionally, the Group Sales Manager is required to mentor Coordinator(s) in order to foster seamless group client & hotel synergy, thorough market coverage and excellent Regional Sales Office relationships.
Scope of Position
The incumbent will prospect for and manage group business from specific accounts in a specified region of the United States. There will be required sales trips and travel to destinations outside San Francisco. The incumbent will be expected to possess the tenacity, creativity, flexibility and commitment that is necessary to succeed in meeting expected assigned responsibilities.
The Group Sales Manager reports directly to the Director of Sales and Marketing.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
Success Profile for this role (Hotel competencies)
- Complete on-boarding checklist encompassing Global MOHG and local San Francisco familiarization process to include competitive site inspections, alignment with Regional Sales Organization, and circulating letters and email introductions to your professional contacts
- Create and implement strategic prospecting plan and action plan for review and approval by DOSM
- Actively participate, orchestrate, and initiate projects and meetings as required to achieve sales goals and hotel objectives
- Meet and exceed monthly, quarterly and annual revenue group sales goals
- Methodically solicit potential clients for future business on an on-going basis
- Conduct outside sales calls and highly polished presentations to companies
- Attend hotel and industry related functions and tradeshows
- Entertain potential and existing clientele to develop and maintain relationships
- Supervise Sales Coordinator(s)
- Conduct pre-convention meetings when necessary
- Plan and operate hotel "FAMiliarization visits" for selected third-party meeting planner and end-user group clients
- Participate in all sales coverage schedules and any manager on duty programs
- Participation in yearly budget and marketing plan
- Conduct onsite inspections for potential clients
- Follow-up on all sales leads in a timely fashion
- Monitor current market trends and be knowledgeable of competitor activity
- Meet the required daily, weekly and monthly prospect calls, sales calls and client entertainment goals.
- Prepare weekly sales call reports as directed by the DOSM.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the department head.
- Adhere to the Legendary Quality Experience standards set forth in the Sales & Marketing department's standard operating procedures.
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information (or preferences) and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect.
Managing Vision & Purpose
Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision and can inspire and motivate the team. Makes the MOHG mission and vision sharable by everyone and embodies our Guiding Principles.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Functional & Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, and support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Sets clear goals and responsibilities, monitors progress and results.
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities; makes decisions in a timely manner.
Negotiation / Presentation Skills
Can negotiate skilfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, with clients, peers, direct reports, and bosses; is effective both inside and outside the organisation, on both cool data and hot and controversial topics; commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation; can change tactics midstream when something isn't working .
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; encourages people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental and talent management system in the organisation; is a people builder.
Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organisation; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching goals; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organised manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Fairness to Direct Reports
Treats direct reports equitably; acts fairly; has candid discussions; doesn't have hidden agenda; doesn't give preferential treatment; provides timely and appropriate feedback.
Ethics & Values
Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.
Integrity & Humility
Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes and flaws. Can get things done quietly without unnecessary noise; is careful to make others comfortable; is authentic; helps others save face in difficult situations; maximises the contribution of all; encourages the expression of viewpoints from all concerned; is modest and self-effacing; respects the views of others.
Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve himself/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits. Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behaviour and seeks feedback.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when under pressure or when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Working experience in group sales in the hotel industry is required
- Knowledge of Delphi and luxury hotels sales experience is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must
- Personal qualities: self motivated, takes initiative, professional and outgoing
- Candidates must have a track record of success
- Appropriate, professional appearance and presentation
- Ability to balance workload that involves following up with past third-party clients & end-user group contacts, day-to-day obligations and growing future business
- Extremely strong written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Able to demonstrate flexibility to the customer and nimble at successfully negotiating business in person, and over the phone
- Motivated personality who can confirm definite group business for the hotel without being "pushy"
- Team player who fosters good work relationships with a positive mental attitude
- Very detail-oriented and desire to proactively assist colleagues and guests who need help at anytime
- Flexibility to accommodate administrative demands of a Pre-opening environment
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Minimum of two years of experience managing and/or coordinating the group sales process preferably for a luxury property
- Previous experience working in Reservations and/or Conference Services preferred
- Previous experience managing and/or mentoring sales managers and sales coordinators
- Capability to use Excel to generate and interpret data reports on business volume from sales territory and individual sales progress reports
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
Mandarin Oriental reserves the right to add, delete, change or modify the job duties and responsibilities described in this Job Description, at the companies discretion, with appropriate notice.
Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a different every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco hopes to attract and inspire talented people who are looking for the opportunity to develop and challenge themselves with a dynamic international company. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.mandarinoriental.com
This is a full time position with benefits. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with matching, life insurance, vacation, sick leave, holidays, meals, transit, discounted rooms at other Mandarin Hotels globally and more!
An equal opportunity employer.
Mandarin Oriental - 15 months ago