The Gulf Restoration Policy Specialist for Alabama/Mississippi will work with NWF’s Gulf Restoration Campaign Director to identify NWF’s restoration priorities for these two states and advance those priorities in federal, state, and local decision-making venues. The policy specialist will represent NWF in coalition efforts, in the media, and in public processes (hearings, comment periods, etc.) and will work closely with NWF staff and outreach coordinators to build political support for ecosystem-scale restoration efforts in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Identify high-priority restoration needs and effective, ecosystem-scale restoration opportunities along the Alabama and Mississippi Gulf Coast.
- Cultivate partnerships with other conservation NGOs and with economic interests (commercial and recreational fishing, tourism, local governments, etc.) who would benefit from ecosystem restoration projects and activities.
- Work with local decision-makers to combine forces where appropriate to achieve ecosystem-scale results from restoration projects.
- In collaboration with the Gulf Restoration Campaign Director, NWF’s state affiliates, and other NWF staff and consultants, develop and implement a strong advocacy campaign to maximize the effectiveness of restoration dollars in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Represent NWF at coalition meetings and other meetings of affected interests, at public hearings and other public events, and to the news media on issues related to Gulf Restoration in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Work with Gulf Restoration Campaign Director, other NWF staff and consultants, and NGO partners to take advantage of opportunities to disseminate NWF campaign message to decision-makers, opinion leaders, the news media, NWF constituents, and the general public.
- Assist Gulf Restoration Campaign Director with communicating campaign objectives and achievements to NWF board and senior leadership, National Advocacy Center and Action Team, and regional staff and affiliates.
- Assist Campaign Director, Regional Executive Director, and Development staff in communicating NWF objectives and accomplishments to prospective and actual donors, foundations, and other institutional funders.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, environmental studies, natural resources, or related field.
- Minimum five years relevant work experience.
- Background in conservation and policy/advocacy or related position preferred.
The ideal candidate will live in Alabama or Mississippi.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with media and decision makers.
- Must have strong analytical, planning, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter, with excellent organizational skills.
- Must be sensitive and able to adapt to various cultures, gender, race, religions and nationalities.
- Proficient in computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite.
National Wildlife Federation is America’s largest conservation organization, passionate about protecting wildlife for our children’s future. NWF offers an excellent benefits package. NWF is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
National Wildlife Federation - 20 months ago