Under general supervision, perform a variety of general labor in the construction, maintenance and repair in area of assignment.
Grounds Aide: This is an entry-level classification. Positions in this class normally perform general labor activities
- Dig trenches; prepare holes for plants, trees, or irrigation installation and perform basic unskilled manual labor.
- Assist in parks, trees, roadsides and trails maintenance activities.
- Place traffic cones and assist with traffic control.
- Water, mow, weed, trim, renovate, and fertilize grass.
- Rake leaves, clean walks or streets, fields, sports courts, and other facilities.
- Load trimmings on trucks.
- Spade and otherwise prepare ground around plants and shrubs, including mixing and applying fertilizers.
- Plant trees, flowers, shrubs and turf.
- Pick up rubbish and paper and perform general grounds and restroom cleaning.
- Perform routine cleaning of parks and recreation buildings, and other areas of parks..
- Operate basic power equipment, light trucks and/or hand tools.
- Assist in preparation and maintenance of parks, village planters, walkways, beach accesses, and recreational facilities.
- Expose/cover and assist in the repair of sprinkler valves, heads and lines.
- Perform routine maintenance of city trails.
- Perform trash collection service and transport materials as needed.
- May assist in other areas or complete other tasks as assigned.
Basic methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in grounds maintenance and construction work.
Safe work practices.
- Use the hand and light power tools required in general grounds and public works maintenance work.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships in the course of work.
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be six months of experience performing duties comparable to those of a Grounds Aide.
- Possession of an valid California driver's license.
- Ability to consistently work weekend schedules.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL SETTING:
Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift, carry and manipulate objects weighing up to 75 pounds and to perform sustained heavy physical labor. Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions, to work to knee level in irrigation trenches and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions. Must be available to work overtime and respond to emergency calls; work varying hours, including weekends, holidays, days off and perform “stand-by” duty as needed.
City of Carlsbad, CA - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard