There are up to two part-time (hourly) Library Technician positions available in Reference Division of the Carlsbad City Library system working in the Adult Computer Labs and at the Information Desk. Successful candidates may be scheduled to work at one or both of the following locations: |
Carlsbad City Library on Dove Lane
1775 Dove Lane
Carlsbad, CA 92011
Georgina Cole Library
1250 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Hourly positions are not benefited and cannot exceed 980 total hours worked within one fiscal year. The scheduled work hours for part-time (hourly) Library Technicians will vary and may be distributed over all hours that the Carlsbad Libraries are open, including evenings and weekends.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
Part-time (hourly) Library Technicians working in the Computer Lab and at the Information Desk duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provide simple reference and directional information to patrons
- Help patrons use the catalog, Internet computers, databases, self-checkout stations, and library equipment such as printers, photocopiers, scanners, and micro-form readers
- Assist patrons with software application questions and issues
This position also helps perform simple maintenance of library equipment, assist in preparing displays or other publicity materials, and check-in magazines and newspapers using periodicals management software.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- Possesses excellent customer service and written/verbal communication skills
- Works cooperatively with the public and coworkers
- Able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient working with computers, including the Internet, on-line databases and download-able content
- Demonstrates effective instruction of others in the use of computers and software
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would qualify. For the part-time (hourly) Library Technician position, a typical way to acquire the skills and abilities would include one year of general clerical experience and/or graduation from high school. Experience working in a public library is highly desired but not required.
While performing the duties of this class, an employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. An employee is frequently required to walk and stand. Employee will be required to maneuver library carts including pushing and/or pulling motions; carts may be heavy depending on load. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to read and operate office and computer equipment as necessary during the course of the work assignments.
While performing the duties, employees of this class are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret people and situations; learn and apply new information or skills; and interact with staff and others encountered in the course of work.