Do you want to use your in-depth knowledge of various complex statistical methods and research study designs to lead a group of researchers? The Health Services Research Director will be responsible for coordinating every phase of multiple economic, sociologic, epidemiologic, or other types of health services research and evaluation projects that will help provide the knowledge base required to transform health care. Some travel is required.
Primary job responsibilities include:
- Meet and confer with potential research clients to assess the need for research services, write detailed proposals describing all phases and tasks of research projects, and work with sales or other professional personnel to help secure funding for research projects
- Lead the technical phases of multiple research and evaluation projects, and collaborate with other social scientists and clinicians to conduct sophisticated, well-designed, rigorous projects of superior quality, on time and within budget
- Write project reports and manuscripts for client use, and for publication in peer-reviewed journals and professional magazines
- Conduct professional conference presentations describing these research and evaluation projects, and conduct other internal or external presentations at Optum, UnitedHealth Group, at client offices, or in other venues
- Supervise a team of researchers, programmers, and medical writers who work on various phases of these research and evaluation projects
- Meet revenue and margin goals and will contribute to the economic and qualitative well-being of the Analytics and Research Unit within Optum
- Reports to the Vice President, Research & Development at Optum
- Ph.D. in a related field (Economics, Statistics, Public Health, etc.). ABD will not suffice.
- 10 years of Healthcare research experience
- Expertise with statistical software (SAS, STATA)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Access, Excel, Word)
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with health insurance claims and enrollment files
- Experience evaluating health and wellness programs (e.g. disease management, case management, health risk appraisals, etc.)
- Knowledge of advanced statistics, econometrics, and other quantitative methods; experience performing data analysis and interpreting results
- Ability to craft rigorous research / evaluation design approaches, based upon understanding of clients' research needs
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) skills
- Outstanding analytic and problem-solving skills; demonstrated self-motivation, sound judgment, and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment; aptitude for training and mentoring staff
OptumInsight is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system.
- Knowledge of research / policy regarding the elderly and near elderly desired
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience with Visual Basic for Applications
- Management or supervisory experience
OptumInsight is one of the largest and fastest growing health information companies. We specialize in improving the performance of the health system by providing analytics, technology and consulting services that enable better decisions and results. We integrate workflow solutions that deliver data in real-time, and create actionable insights - processing health information that relates directly to and affects one in four patients in the U.S, one in every three Medicaid dollars and one in every five emergency room visits. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
What can YOU do with the right information? At OptumInsight, the possibilities and the impact are limitless. No matter what your role is at OptumInsight, you'll be empowered to ask more questions, develop better solutions and help make the health care system greater than ever. It's always fresh. It's always exciting. And it's never been more important.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment. In addition, employees in certain positions are subject to random drug testing.
UnitedHealth Group - 18 months ago
When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours.
We have modest goals: Improve the lives of...