Performs general clerical and receptionist duties including medical record maintenance, order processing, typing, and/or word processing, and materials management functions on the nursing unit. Assists visitors, nursing staff, and members of the health care team.
1. Ability to use multi-line telephone.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
3. Ability to prioritize and multiple tasks.
4. Possesses basic computer knowledge and knowledge of medical terminology.
5. Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
6. Flexible and able to work independently with minimal supervision and thrive on change.
7. Ability to interact and communicate with people over the telephone and/or in person, often in stressful situations, and in a considerate, respectful, courteous manner.
8. Knowledge of patient medical records and clinical documents.
9. Skillful in the use of Hospital computer systems related to ADT order entry, requisitions, lab inquiries and other computerized processes and related software/hardware applications.
10. Knowledge of clinical procedures and operations.
11. Knowledge of supplies, equipment ordering and inventory control.
12. Clerical, word processing and office skills.
13. Ability to read and comprehend English at a level necessary to follow written and oral instruction and safety precautions.
14. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
A. Work Experience
Hospital setting preferred.
National Health Unit Coordinator certification preferred.
C. Education and Training
1. High School graduate or equivalent.
2. Successful completion of an approved unit clerk program within six months of being in position.
University Medical Center of El Paso - 2 years ago