RECRUITMENT AND EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT
************ OPEN RECRUITMENT ************
HIGH VOLTAGE ELECTRICIAN - Skilled Trade Specialist III (7131)
SALARY: $48,218 -- $55,023
CLOSING DATE: Open & Continuous
(Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis)
DESCRIPTION: This is the journey level of high-voltage electrical work at the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT). Employees are responsible for independently performing high-voltage electrical installation, connection, maintenance and repair work in compliance with Federal, State and Local regulations and standard practices. High voltage electricians work with electric circuits carrying in excess of 600 volts, in accordance with the National Electrical Code and the Underwriter's Rules for electrical wiring and installation.
This is maintenance work requiring physical exertion performed either outdoors under all weather conditions or inside an MDOT building. Employees may be required to move objects weighing over 50 pounds, and may also be required to work on equipment located at high elevations, and/or perform their job in cramped quarters in buildings or underground. Employees in this classification are considered essential employees and are subject to emergency call back procedures twenty-four hours a day, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility. Employees may be required to work rotating shift work, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
EXPERIENCE: Five years of experience working with high-voltage (600 volts and up) service, switch gear and control wiring or large (30 horsepower or more) motors, compressors and motor circuitry is required. Two years of this experience must have been in a commercial or industrial setting. Please note that your application must specify the high voltage job duties performed.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATES, SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification are assigned duties that require the operation of motor vehicles. Employees are required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland. All applicants must list their license number and expiration date on the application. During the probationary period, employees may be required to obtain and maintain a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) valid in the State of Maryland, depending on the type of equipment operated.
2. Employees at the Maryland Aviation Administration must have or obtain an Airfield Operators Permit in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations 11.03.01.04, Control of Vehicular Traffic on the Air Operations Area, prior to permanent appointment.
3. Applicants may be subject to a background check, which may impact on employment. A history of arrest or conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Applicants who are considered for work at the Maryland Aviation Administration are subject to an extensive pre-employment security background check as required by the Federal Aviation Administration, Federal Aviation Regulation Part 107.
4. Candidates will be subject to pre-employment drug testing in accordance with the Transportation Code of Maryland Regulations 11.02.11, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
5. Employees are required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or beeper) at their own expense for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
Candidates may be required to meet additional licenses, registrations, certifications or special requirements based on the needs of the Modal Administration.
TO APPLY: You must complete an application (DTS-1) to be considered for this recruitment. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE DTS-1 EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. For an application, please call 410-865-1073 or visit our Web Page at www.marylandtransportation.com. Mail your application to: Recruitment and Examinations Unit, 7201 Corporate Center Drive, Mail Stop 140, Hanover, MD 21076. Applications sent without sufficient postage will not be accepted and will be returned. Qualified applicants may be subject to background and reference checks. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify in advance. MD Relay Service Number (711).
Please Note: The Maryland Department of Transportation is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees; all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
The incumbent in this position may be a member of a covered bargaining unit and may be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MDOT does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Issue Date: 12/27/12
Maryland Department of Transportation - 2 years ago