Re-Post. If you previously applied for this position, you MUST re-apply to be considered for this vacancy.
This employee will oversee the daily maintenance of the NC Zoo's Kid Zone area plant collection. Responsibilities will encompass thorough working knowledge of the plant collection under employee's care. This Horticulture Technician I, under supervision of a Grounds Supervisor will be responsible for landscape construction and design, plant maintenance, plant identification, watering, planting/removal/installation/transplanting, fertilization, weed control, plant inventory, pest control - insects, diseases and vermin, pruning and propagation. Other main duties of the position are coordinating volunteers, record keeping, equipment operation experience (Bobcat, loader, backpack blower, weed-eater, tractor, etc.) and conducting educational programs. This position requires participation in the zoo’s occupational health program due to potential exposures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
- Ability to identify plants and plant pests, and assess plant health.
- Ability to safely operate landscaping equipment, which may include tractors, bobcats, chainsaws, weed eaters and loaders, etc.
- Ability to work independently and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use a computer for research and record keeping.
- Applicant must have or be able to obtain a valid NC Drivers License in order to operate state owned vehicles on and/or off park.
- Ability to regularly and safely: lift up to 25 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, work in tight spaces, stand for the majority of the day, endure extended outdoor field conditions at any time of the year, negotiate uneven outdoor terrain on foot, and drive motor vehicles at day and at night.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
High school or General Educational Development diploma and two years of progressive experience in horticultural work; or associate's degree in agriculture and natural resources, greenhouse and grounds maintenance, horticulture technology, landscape gardening or closely related field from an appropriately accredited institution; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Necessary special qualification: may require NC Pesticide License or NC Commercial Driver's License.
All degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
Applicants must document on the application their knowledge skills and abilities as well as all related work experience to the position for which they apply.
To apply for this position, please click APPLY link above.
All relevant experience must be included on application to receive proper credit. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state application.
SEE ATTACHED RESUME WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE APPLICATION. To receive credit, all experience must be included in the work history sections. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for veteran preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.
DENR uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. When a salary range is posted, the actual salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information, please contact:
Please visit our website at www.nczoo.org for additional information regarding our facility.
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 2 years ago