AFS Intercultural Programs is a multi-national, non-governmental organization dedicated to peace through the promotion of worldwide intercultural learning and living experiences primarily for high school students. AFS volunteers are instrumental to fulfilling the mission of the organization principally through local, community-based involvements in hosting, sending and fundraising programs.
The Hosting Operations Manager is a professional, supervisory position responsible for the management of the overall receipt, review, screening and management of hosted student and host family applications and related Partner communications. S/he will supervise a small, focused team of staff responsible for review and screening of hosted student and host family applications, departmental mailings, Partner communications and support, reporting, compliance, department training, upkeep of hosting processes resources, and the maintenance, accuracy, and development of hosting processes as managed in the Global Link database. S/he will oversee the work of this team of employees to ensure that procedures are being accurately followed, and standards and regulations adhered to. S/he will also be responsible for the overall oversight of ensuring the hosting administrative processes are supported by the Global Link database, and for increasing the efficiency and enhancement of the system to support departmental needs. The Hosting Operations Manager will also be responsible for coordinating and delivering departmental trainings, the coordination of national mailings, compiling information for required reports, ensuring the storage of statistical data, and collaborating with AFS Partner Countries, the Compliance Department, Team Development Staff, Travel Department, and other Departments to ensure the efficient and accurate implementation of hosting administrative processes.
1. Compare receipt of applications from AFS Partner Countries to established gateway matrix and follow up with Partners regarding any discrepancies
2. Maintain record of and ensure proper management of direct placements
3. Facilitate gateway changes in cooperation with TDS staff and Partner staff
4. Assign applications to Hosting Operations Coordinators and seasonals for review
5. Manage and implement the application and distribution for all inbound participants and their host families
6. Evaluate Priority Finalist applications and determine their status within deadlines established by the AFS International Standards
7. Communicate with AFS Partner Countries on issues related to student applications, including acceptance and rejection of applicants, non traditional placement consent, request for necessary information for placement, and placement of scholarship students
8. Follow up on medical issues disclosed in host family applications
9. In consultation with Compliance and Support Managers, determined eligibility of host families according to AFS, CSIET and DoS regulations and standards
10. Ensure host family applications are complete, accepted, and transferred to Partner Countries prior to student departure from his/her home country
11. Take part in discussions with Compliance, Support, and Travel staff to determine student travel dates based on status of placements and compliance
Hosting Process Review and Enhancement
1. Review and evaluate processes to improve efficiency, customer service and/or overall impact on hosting.
2. Update and maintain procedural checklists and resources for staff use.
3. Provide procedural updates to staff via email communication, AFS Wiki news postings, and other means as necessary
4. Oversee database processes, enhancements, troubleshooting and reporting
5. Represent Hosting Operations on Global Link priority calls and advocate for departmental IT needs as it relates to GL enhancement
6. Ensure that Hosting Operations staff, TDS staff, and other departments accordingly are kept informed of database and reporting updates and developments.
7. Perform consistent sweeps for data accuracy in Global Link, and follow up on any inconsistencies with staff as needed.
8. Ensure timely hiring of seasonal to support the work of Hosting Operations Coordinators during peak times of the year.
1. Ensure that AFS-USA, AFS International, federal, state, and local guidelines are being followed, especially the US Department of State regulations and CSIET standards
2. Supervise the Hosting Operations Coordinators and Sr. Hosting Operations Coordinator
3. Regularly evaluate and updated departmental processes, ensure they are documented, and communicate to staff and volunteers
4. Assist with preparation of the DoS report by established deadlines by following up with Team Development Specialist to ensure that all pertinent information is recorded.
5. Coordinate national mailings, ensure supplies are ordered, and all national hosting related mailings are sent out in a timely fashion.
6. Create and update training materials for staff reference
7. Provide training to new employees, refresher trainings to current employees on process updates, and training on Hosting Operations functions and processes to interdepartmental staff as needed
8. Convene team and cross-departmental meetings and ensure action lists are followed up
9. Authorize expenses as related to hosting administration
10. Other responsibilities as assigned
• Proven experience in driving for results
• Bachelor's degree required
• 5+ years of work experience in service
industries or not-for-profit
• Demonstrated skills and experience in project planning, implementation, and evaluation, with a track record of achieving objectives on such projects
• Substantial stand-up training/presentation experience
• Strong skills in word processing and use of spreadsheets
• Demonstrated background in problem-solving
• Track record of working collaboratively to achieve results
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Cross-cultural experience preferred
• Ability to work with persons of diverse backgrounds
• Commitment to the mission and principles of AFS Intercultural Programs
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be negotiated at the time of hire. Benefits information will be provided by the Human Resources Department, and include medical, dental, and TIAA/CREF.
The Hosting Operations Manager will work in the New York office. The Hosting Operations department office hours will be Monday-Saturday from 9:00AM-8:00PM. Staff will work 5 days per week and hours will vary depending of the region of the US served. Additional evening, weekend, and flexible work hours should be expected during peak seasons.
Some travel should be expected for conferences, meetings, and training events. Vacations need to be scheduled in accordance with the AFS-USA leave policy for hosting staff.
idealist.org - 16 months ago