Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) SCA is America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Houston Summer Crew Programs.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 12 students, ages 14-19, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include a range of activities such as trail and park maintenance, habitat restoration, revitalization of abandoned urban properties or to urban agriculture. In addition, leaders will facilitate pre- and post- program planning which includes crew training, environmental education and reporting.
- Mandatory Crew Leader Training: June 3rd – June 11th
- Program start date: June 20th
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and first aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA field staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
Compensation: Total program salary up to $3,220 for a 5-week Crew depending on experience & crew length. Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided).
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the orientation training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in educational environment
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 3rd- June 12th, 2013
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up . Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email scaHouston@thesca.org and/or firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org