Youth Organizations Umbrella (Y.O.U.) is seeking a talented and experienced candidate for the part-time position of Human Resources Assistant. Founded 40 years ago, Y.O.U. is a youth development agency that provides services and leadership to meet the emerging needs of young people and their families in the Evanston community. Y.O.U. currently offers a range of year-round services – from afterschool enrichment and mentorship to clinical counseling and crisis intervention – that support more than 850 young people annually.
The HR Assistant will support the Director of Human Resources in all human resources functions of the organization. This position is being added following a strategic planning process that reaffirmed Y.O.U.’s commitment to attracting and retaining a top-notch staff. Y.O.U. has a very complicated human resource environment with over 130 staff. This number includes regular staff, work-study staff, interns, and AmeriCorps staff. Each type of employee has a different set of rules and procedures that needs to be followed regarding screening, timekeeping, supervision and evaluation. As a result, Y.O.U.’s Director of Human Resources spends significant time and effort on these tasks, which impedes her ability to focus on strategic HR issues. The HR assistant will take over many of these responsibilities.
The HR Assistant provides administrative support to the Director of Human Resources on all personnel matters. Specific responsibilities include:
Accountability: The Human Resource Assistant reports to the Director of Human Resources.
- Reviews and verifies information related to HR, payroll, benefits, and other HR programs.
- Records and enters HR-related data into Y.O.U’s database.
- Assists with the preparation and processing of new hire orientation, benefits, recruiting, training, performance management, and terminations.
- Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Works cooperatively with the Director of Human Resources to resolve any discrepancies with payroll, paid time off, or personnel records.
- Prepares and maintains employee personnel files to meet internal and external record keeping requirements.
- Processes personnel related mail.
- Assists with various background checks and the tracking of results.
- Assists with a variety of special projects including researching performance management systems, including Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) to help improve the effectiveness of the human resource function at Y.O.U.
- Schedules trainings and meetings as requested by the Director of HR.
- Other duties as assigned.
Y.O.U. is seeking candidates who are drawn to its mission, friendly team atmosphere, and flexible work environment. Mandatory Job Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred.
- Two years experience in human resources preferred.
- Must be able to handle confidential information and exercise good judgment.
- Must be able to handle difficult personnel matters with tact and discretion.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must have exceptional organizational skills.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Extensive experience and proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to learn, analyze, and use changing technology
- Must have the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Y.O.U.’s mission.
- Other: Must have a car, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance, which meets or exceeds Y.O.U. agency standards for liability coverage.
- Bilingual preferred.