The Human Resources Representative/Recruiter is responsible for leading and supporting a variety of human resources and recruiting activities in the San Diego office. The Human Resources Rep/Recruiter will work closely with department managers to understand the current and future staffing needs. Recruting efforts will include: sourcing candidates, reviewing candidate qualifications, conducting assessments and skills testing, facilitating interviews both in person and telephonic, and playing a key role in employee on boarding and retention. The Human Resources Rep/Recruiter will also work with the rest of the HR Team on various projects and initiatives. HR activities might include managing HR processes, policies and procedures; compliance programs; organization development; employee benefit administration, communications and services.
May direct and lead the work of others, requiring the ability to guide others and provide direction. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks with limited supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Must demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to effectively train other staff. Proficiently performs tasks, works autonomously and may act as a back up to the supervisor.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Advertise, source, and screen job candidates to fill position openings through various applicant sources.
- Work closely with managers to assess staffing needs and to determine and refine staffing strategy and approach.
- Proactively develop candidate pipeline and develop a network of prospects for future needs.
- Conduct research and discover new methods to create new, innovative applicant sourcing strategies.
- Coordinate and participate in career/job fairs and any other related functions to generate qualified applicants.
- Develops and maintains relationships with area college/university career services offices as a source for applicants.
- Provides initial screening of applicants and refers qualified applicants to hiring managers for interviewing.
- Schedules testing/interviews and arranges for any accommodations for applicants.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate records on recruiting and staffing activities.
- Conduct reference and background checks.
- Assist with benefit administration as needed
- Respond to employee inquiries related to payroll, benefits, policies and procedures, and general human resources; forward all employee inquiries to appropriate parties as necessary
- Ensure adherence to state and federal laws; EEOC poster posting
- Complete documents and letters for verification of employment
- Produce management reports related to recruiting and hiring efforts
- Participate in New Hire Orientations; provide general information related to payroll and benefit programs; Audit new hire paperwork and send e-mail reminders for missing benefit documentation
- Review new hire paperwork; ensure accuracy and completeness of information, distribute to all relevant parties (i.e. facilities, ISD, payroll)
- Assist with human resource & payroll special projects, as necessary (i.e. holiday parties, company events and meetings, blood drives, flu shots, community outreach, training, etc.)
- Establish strong working relationship with payroll, facilities and IT
- Provide top notch customer service to all internal and external clients and customers
- Assist with any other recruiting or HR projects as needed.
- EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalent experience; one to two years’ related prior experience in Recruiting and/or HR.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
- CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: none
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.