Provides services to the public by responding to a wide variety of human service and customer service issues, including coordination of programs, difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries, requests for services and complaints in the Community Services Division.
Education and Experience
Two years customer service in a public, front line or social service agency providing screening, eligibility assessment and information and referral assistance or doing social services work. Must be fluent in Spanish.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
A valid driver license with no major driving citations in the last 39 months may be required.
Other pertinent licenses and or certifications may be required of some positions based on division/department/section assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Local community social services.
Microsoft Office computer software products.
Office practices, business English, spelling and arithmetic.
Perform class registration and facility booking procedures.
Make decisions about complex human needs.
Determine priorities, handle multiple tasks and remain calm in a fast paced environment.
Provide timely quality customer service both on the phone and in person.
Listen and communicate effectively (verbally and in writing).
Perceive and interpret customer needs and translate them into effective solutions and operational policy.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, social service representatives and the general public.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a department(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Performs a wide variety of complex social service and customer service work involving requests for information, problem analysis, eligibility determination, program enrollment, complaint resolution, community outreach, cash handling (including collections, fees and/or deposits), reconciliation and the general delivery/explanation of Human Services and other City services to both internal and external customers through Human Service Centers.
- Performs triage, provides initial screening, conducts eligibility assessment and determines appropriate level of intervention.
- Understands and shares vision of an open accessible government via the Human Services Centers and works towards common goals. Responds to situations requiring extensive knowledge in community resources to assist in resolving citizen problems.
- Creates and maintains comprehensive resource files and phone listings of social service programs and community resources.
- Plans and coordinates citywide programs and activities unique to each center such as Medi-loan, tax preparation, Intergenerational Programs, Back to School, Adopt a Family, Beat the Heat, Grocery Gift Card, Adopt-a-Senior, concierge program and sewing group. Includes fundraising, building and maintaining donor groups and coordinating staff efforts from other Human Services Centers and outside agencies and companies.
- Coordinates and assists with programming, workshops and special events.
- Provides screening, orientation, training and supervision of volunteers.
- Provides off-site outreach programs to community groups on various human services topics unique to each Center’s function.
- Listens and responds to complicated and sensitive citizen inquiries, requests for services and complaints; interacts with customers who may be hostile or confused.
- Provides callers and visitors with immediate assistance regarding questions, problems and concerns related to recreational activities, social services, health and wellness programs, City events and other City programs. Acts as citizen liaison willing to take personal responsibility for completing service requests.
- Organizes and maintains disc storage and filing.
- Maintains and organizes confidential client files.
- Retrieves, inputs, and monitors customer data and history by accessing numerous computer screens.
- Clearly and articulately comprehends and makes inferences from written material. Explains Human Service policies and operating procedures. Conducts appropriate research and responds to customers in a timely manner.
- Listens and communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; may translate for Spanish speaking customers as needed; explains/interprets ordinances, eligibility requirements, policies and procedures and types/performs data entry at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Handles administrative functions such as the accounting work for the center, Webtime functions, purchasing of office supplies, tracking inventory and scheduling calendars.
- Works with minimal supervision, taking ownership for the completeness and accuracy of day-to-day work.
- Seeks out innovative methods to streamline and improve processes.
- Assists managers and other staff with presentations, spreadsheets, complex reports and graphics using advanced computer skills. Prepares a variety of statistical and narrative reports.
- Rotates into another support position when requested and during vacations.
- Establishs and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, brokerage agencies, referral sources, community social services programs and the general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
- Work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a personal computer, related software, copy and facsimile machines and telephone that require continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Lift and carry food boxes and donated items and office supplies weighing up to 25 pounds.
City of Scottsdale - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard