1-2 years experience is required
The Independence Center (IC) Mental Health Technician acts as a paraprofessional member of the interdisciplinary treatment team, assisting in the care and treatment of psychiatric and/or chemically dependent patients. Under supervision of the nurse or counselor, provides supportive and behavioral direction as dictated by patient needs and treatment plan.
Escorts and transports patients to designated areas for daily activities; transports patients to off-campus therapeutic activities using hospital vehicle as assigned.
- Observes and monitors patient behavior; communicates patient behavior patterns with other members of the treatment team.
- Assists with the coordination of patient activities and interacts with patients in order to maintain a therapeutic milieu; adapts approach to patients as needed and appropriate for age of patients served including children, adolescents, and adults.
Communicates pertinent patient information to the interdisciplinary treatment team, through written and verbal reports, in order to enhance treatment planning and describe progress.
Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology or related human services field and one (1) year prior work experience in the human services field required OR two (2) years of coursework in the human services field and two (2) years work experience/training with demonstrated skills and competencies in the treatment of clients with substance use disorders and/or mental illness required. Must complete annual criminal background check and central registry check through child and adult protective services. Basic Life Support (CPR) certification required. Valid State of Nebraska driver’s license required. Verification and maintenance of responsible driving record per facility standards required. If prior or current history of alcohol and drug dependency, must provide evidence of sobriety for a minimum of 12 months prior to employment.
- Uses computer to document client observations; accesses supplies and services; communicates with other Medical Center departments as appropriate.
- Provides emotional support to patients by listening and conveying appropriate information; answers patient and family questions; refers therapy or medical questions to counselor or RN; supports and provides patient direction in conjunction with the patient’s treatment plan.
- Assists staff nurse in performing patient care as directed including obtaining and recording height and weight and blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and respirations.
- Provides close observation or one-to-one care, as directed by the RN, to prevent patients from wandering or potential injury.
BryanLGH Medical Center - 16 months ago