The Detroit Lions Community Relations and Corporate Communications Departments are accepting applications for an intern. The intern will split responsibilities between departments by supporting a fully integrated cause-marketing, community outreach and corporate communications strategy for the Detroit Lions. This includes organizational community and charity events, in addition to support for the administration of the team’s non-profit and charitable initiative, Living for the City. To learn more about the Living for the City initiative, please visit: http://www.detroitlions.com/community/index.html
The Community Relations/Corporate Communications intern will have the opportunity to learn about and assist with the day-to-day operations of both departments and will gain hands on training and experience in cause marketing, coordinating player appearances, game day presentations, fundraising, and communications.
Hours/Duration of Position:
This is a full-time internship working approximately 35-40 hours per week. The internship would begin late July and end in mid to late January 2014. This position is based in the Detroit Lions Training Facility in Allen Park, MI and is a paid position. Preference will be given to local candidates.
- Responsible for processing donation requests and shipping
- Assists with community relations correspondence
- Assists with writing of website stories, press releases and other communications about community and cause-marketing events
- Assist in planning special events and fundraisers hosted by community relations
- Assist with autograph sessions for donation items
- Assist with game day community activations, special guests and presentations
- Assists with player appearances related to the Living for the City initiative
- Coordinate charitable ticket program
- Provide engagement opportunities to players and updates community bulletin board
- Assists with NFL on-line auctions
- Other duties as assigned
- The preferred candidate is looking for internship experience during or immediately following their junior or senior year of college
- Must have excellent writing skills (two samples required), ability to work with a flexible schedule, including being available for major scheduled events on nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must provide own transportation and housing
- Candidates must be mature, polished professionals who are able to interact with players and the public in a respectful and business-like manner to represent Living for the City with pride and professionalism
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Desired candidate should have experience working in community relations, volunteer organizations, public relations, sports information, journalism, sports management, or with a sports organization
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- Ability to reach, bend, sit and/or stand, climb or balance, kneel, crouch or crawl
Please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and also what interests you about the Living for the City initiative. Candidates who do not submit a cover letter will be removed from consideration. Candidates selected for an interview will be required to submit two writing samples at the time of the interview.
NO CALLS PLEASE. We regret that we are unable to update candidates on the status of their application. Those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a college degree program at a four year accredited college or university? Please answer Yes or No.
2. Did you major in one of the following: Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, Non-Profit Management, Sports Management, Sports Marketing, or Sports Communications? Please answer Yes or No and indicate your major.
3. Do you have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above? Please answer Yes or No and provide GPA.
4. Do you currently have transportation and housing in the metro Detroit area for the duration of this internship?
5. Do you have past internship experience in public relations, sports information, journalism, sports management, or with a sports organization? Please answer Yes or No.
6. Do you have previous internship or volunteer experience with charitable organizations? Please answer Yes or No and explain.
National Football League - 6 months ago
NFL Films promotes and preserves the history of the gridiron. Every year, the National Football League (NFL) subsidiary films about 270...