Full-time, IT Specialist/Technician needed to support NOAA’s Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), in Narragansett, RI.
The technician will support data recovery, conversions and standardization of historical survey, mark-recapture data, and conservation engineering data to meet program and research objectives. The cooperative research program complements other NOAA/NMFS programs and contributes to improving fishery stock assessments and evaluation of management options.
The IT Specialist will provide technical support for the recovery and standardization of historical data consistent with new database designs developed under the NEFSC cooperative research program. Specific duties will include:
- Assistance with recovery of historical survey data residing in the NMFS Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC).
- Assistance with the recovery and detailed review of mark recapture data for North Atlantic stocks and related information necessary to model movement patterns and survival rates over time.
- Support for post-cruise data processing, quality assurance, and management for cooperative research projects, including surveys, study fleets and conservation engineering studies.
- Assistance with the implementation and testing of web based access systems for cooperative research databases, including developing queries and views for staff and the public.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field OR at least 2 years equivalent training in information technology.
- Demonstrated experience with fisheries data and databases, including web based databases and access systems.
- Must possess a current, valid driver’s license; must complete and comply with all required training related to operating a government vehicle.
- Must be available to start work on or about March 15, 2013
- Must complete NOAA Safety Awareness Training and IT Security Orientation Training.
- Processing of a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) and fingerprinting will be required.