Under administrative direction, is responsible for coordinating systems analysis, maintenance and development activities through direct and indirect staff. Lead teams in the areas of scheduling, technical direction, future planning and standard practices. Participate in budgeting and capital equipment processes and quality improvement activities for the organization. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status, and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Essential Job Functions:
- IT Business Management: Manages staff within assigned area, conducting hiring, training and performance review activities as required. Supports budget processes and conducts fiduciary activities as appropriate to ensure appropriate allocation of funds. Supports procurement processes related to services and/or products necessary for the organization. Supports department-wide IT strategic and operational planning activities.
- Customer Business Requirements: Works with business partners to understand business needs.
- Customer Technology Planning: Provides input to business technology planning within their functional area. Identifies and researches alternative technologies, evaluates current staff and technical resources, and identifies alternatives for addressing business objectives.
- IT Initiatives: Manages the implementation of IT initiatives to support business strategy.
- Technical Solution Identification and Procurement: Participates with end users and management in the identification and evaluation of information systems requirements, and develops plans to insure the completion of these activities. Develops plans for the completion of major applications. Coordinates the acquisition of approved hardware and software including the planning for migration, installation, and training.
- Service Quality: Provides high-quality services at optimal cost to customers.
- Business Process Improvement: Develops and implements technologies to improve the performance of a business process and increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Vendor Management: Manages vendor relationships to maximize value to the business.
- Technical Standards: Contributes to the development of standards and recommends changes to systems/applications. Provides technical and business expertise.
- Staff Resource Optimization: Identifies the roles, skills and knowledge required. Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives. Participates in IT workforce deployment activities.
- End User Training: Manages the development and delivery of training for internal IT users to ensure productive use of existing and new systems.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Three (3) years of relevant technical and business experience, to include one or more business and technical processes.
- Must pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background and maintain CJIS eligibility.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Seven (7) year of experience in Geographic Information Systems, programming, cartography, and applications with personal computers.
- Mastery of RDBMS such as SQL Server and Oracle.
- Mastery of Silverlight or Java Script.
- Mastery of Model Builder and Python.
- Mastery of ArcGIS Server and ArcSDE Administration.
- ESRI Enterprise or Developer Professional Certification.
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of system environments.
- Knowledge of core managerial functions such as budgeting, procurement, personnel management, and finance.
- Knowledge of current information technology management theories and practices.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of current organizational hardware and software capabilities.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in the completion of information system planning including security administration, operational capacity planning, and cost benefit analysis of alternative technologies involved in the completion of information system planning, and cost benefit analysis of alternative technologies.
- Knowledge of quality principles and tools, especially root cause analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in effectively planning, organizing, controlling and supervising the work of subordinates.
- Skill in establishing and communicating clear expectations regarding work performance for both the individual and/or team.
- Skill in a variety of communication methods to present complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Skill in creating an environment for improving customer satisfaction and promotes an atmosphere that establishes customer satisfaction as a key value in the organization.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and utilizing associated software programs.
- Ability to learn and adapt to the ongoing changes of the City culture.
- Ability to clearly communicate goals and priorities of the organization as they relates to technical issues.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of the current knowledge exchange and technology interface issues (including e-business aspects between own and closely related units of the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of project management tools; plan development, metrics, cost and effort estimation, schedule development, risk analysis, monitoring of production and compliance, project progress tracking.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of business and technical problem solving skills.
- Ability to influence other employees to work together to support the mission and goals of the City of San Antonio.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Ability to successfully launch and deliver a single IT project.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population of about 2...