Tier 2 ISEs monitor network using a suite of network management systems provided by the VA. HP OpenView is the primary monitoring tool, but Cisco Works, Netscout, SolarWinds, REACT, and other tools provide additional visibility into network issues to assist with troubleshooting.
Tier 2 ISEs also drive Wide Area Network (WAN) and Veteran’s Benefits Administration (VBA) circuit and router issues to resolution Local Exchange Carriers (Verizon, Qwest, AT&T), internal VA WAN managers, other VA NSOC groups, and Cisco as required.
• Provide notification of the outage to the VA within the 15-minute objective.
• Make a determination of the problem at hand and route ticket to the appropriate fix agency — e.g. Physical Layer Service Center (PLSC),
• FMNS-ANSG, SDSC, Frame Relay, etc.
• Employ “WAN” methodology when managing the trouble ticket process: (I)dentify, (V)erify, (A)ct and (N)otify the VA of the next plan of action.
• Perform troubleshooting on outages, slow responses, bouncing circuits, and chronic problems.
• Isolate IP, Routing and Transport problems.
• Obtain necessary info! a.tion and ask probing questions to help isolate the problem.
• Determine and route 1:0 appropriate fix agency - e.g., Physical Layer Service Center.
• Dispatches CPE, as required.
• Validate performance and problem management to prevent recurrence and provide Reason for Outages (RFO).
• Uses advanced technical expertise and problem solving resolution skills at the VA onsite providing guidance and direction for subordinate field/site engineering jobs.
• Provides on-site coordination of related activities (ordering equipment, interfacing with engineering staff and customers)
• Serves as a technical resource for a large geographical area.
• Has strong knowledge of products and platforms from multiple vendors.
• A technician for VA network systems, installation, and/or maintenance activities.
• Resolves complex network problems involving power, network hardware and software, lines, modems and terminals.
• Uses software and hardware tools to identify and diagnose network monitoring equipment installation and maintenance activities; resolves complex trouble tickets.
• Serves as a subject matter expert in service, production, or support area of responsibility.
• 3 years of relevant experience is required
• Experience with HP Openview is required
• Experience with Ciscoworks, Netscout, Solarwinds, and REACT is strongly preferred
• Must be flexible and work well within a team environment
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...