- Provides advanced Tier III and IV support by remotely troubleshooting and repairing transport backbone equipment, sub-tending devices, and user applications/services for a nationwide fiber optic transport network and two geographically separated network support centers.
- Performs advanced troubleshooting as the internal escalation point of contact for complex and persistent trouble tickets.
- Interacts extensively with internal engineering and support teams as well as with Tier IV support engineers of various hardware/software vendors to solve tough problems.
- Acts as network operations technical lead on new and emerging network management/defense requirements and designs.
- Interacts closely with network engineers, security personnel, program managers and vendors to establish system requirements and design technical solutions to meet critical network performance criteria.
- Manages and participates in enterprise-level projects encompassing systems, networks, and SAN/NAS storage.
- Exercises sound judgment during the escalation of trouble tickets.
- Responds to trouble reports by isolation of problem and mobilization of resources capable of affecting a resolution in a manner which least disrupts customer service.
- Performs advanced diagnostics using software and hardware tools to determine network status and optimize network performance.
- Performs system backups and recoveries.
- Maintains and monitors anti-virus server and clients.
- Maintains and monitors file, e-mail, and backup servers.
- Implements software patches and security updates as required.
- Reacts quickly and competently to identify, track, document, escalate, and resolve immediate network vulnerabilities/threats.
- Conducts risk assessments to identify possible security violations.
- Assesses risk factors and advises on vulnerability to attack from a variety of sources.
- Develops methods and procedures for protection of systems and applications.
- Oversees/monitors status of systems and equipment to address potential technical problems. Inspects and analyzes equipment/systems performance to determine maintenance and repair requirements.
- Develops and implements detailed standard operations procedures dealing with Network Support Center operations.
- May direct daily/per-shift work assignments when necessary.
- Provides project status to management.
- Provides after-hours support on an on-call basis, as required. Job Requirements
- Ciena or like vendor long haul optical equipment certifications and training are highly desired. CCNA and MCSE certifications required.
- CISSP and CCNP certifications highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology field and three years experience or seven years applicable work experience required.
- Experience with IBM Blade Centers/Servers, Tipping Point IDS/IPS, McAfee Firewall and Host Based Security System, Sun Solaris servers, Cisco devices, and Ciena optical equipment required.
- These positions require a Top Secret/SCI clearance with CI polygraph.
- The responsibilities of these positions will continue to grow as additional portions of the network are accredited and achieve operational status, and as additional customer groups are added to the network.
- Currently the positions support the operation, management, and defense of a nationwide fiber optic transport network and two geographically separated network support centers.
- The network is expected to sustain continual growth to include additional sites and customers across the life of the program.
- These positions represent the highest escalation level for technical problem resolution on an extremely high visibility project.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...