GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY TEAMSTERS GENERAL EMPLOYEES WILL HAVE BARGAINING UNIT PREFERENCE
Position : IT Technician
Department : Information Technology
Salary : $17.15 - $21.48/Hour (New hires generally start at Step 1 and reach top of the range at 5 years)
Union : Teamsters General Bargaining Unit
Hours : 37.5 Hours/Week (Full-Time Benefits)
FLSA : Covered (Overtime is compensated)
The person in this position is assigned to the IT Office and will reside at the Governmental Center, but may have other assigned responsibilities that will require travel to other County buildings. Half of this position will support Avaya phone systems, desktop phones, cell phones, voice mail systems, and the users of these systems. (Department Head has the discretion to change assignments within the same classification.) A complete background investigation, including fingerprints, will be conducted.
Primary function of the job is to operate, maintain, and repair the County’s computers, information systems, networks, servers, and related hardware, as well as to provide technical assistance to County employees. Employees in this job have no formal supervisory role, however, employees work as part of a team and are responsible for ensuring that the team meets its objectives.
Employees must meet the minimum requirements, conditions of employment, and be able to perform successfully all essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
This position may require irregular hours. It may also require travel by the employee in the employee's own vehicle
Examples of Duties:
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (may include but are not limited to the following)
· Provides help desk support and technical assistance to users of the County’s computer systems either on the phone or in person; troubleshoots and resolves network problems and issues, including reformatting hard drives when necessary.
· Maintains and repairs computer equipment. Replaces and installs computer, printers, and other components, such as hardware configuration, cables and connectors, network connections, software, etc.
· Performs system administration, such as performing system backups, updating and maintaining servers, enrolling new users and accounts, deleting users and accounts, revising directory structures, maintaining security features, creating documentation, installing software, and similar activities.
· Monitors and maintains the integrity and security of network systems.
· Performs website administration by creating groups, enrolling users, granting permission, etc. May serve as the content manager for selected web sites. Assists department staff with editing and creating website content. Provides training to County staff regarding procedures for editing and changing website content. Troubleshoot problems and issues related to the configuration and usability of website pages.
· Assists with the selection and procurement of hardware and software, including determining end user needs, preparing specifications, obtaining price quotes, creating purchase orders, recommending purchases, placing orders, ensuring that materials received conform with orders and packing list, and related activities.
· Assists in training users on applicable systems, applications, databases, and/or other related software; participates in developing operating procedure documentation.
· Maintains inventory of hardware, software, materials, and supplies of the department. Creates and maintains documentation for hardware/software, standard procedures, problem resolution, inventory tagging and recording, end user manuals, and/or other related items.
· Assists the County Court offices with producing routine and special forms and reports.
· May design databases, data entry screens, forms, queries, and report
EDUCATION, FORMAL TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE (minimum requirements)
· Associate’s (two-year) degree in a related field, such as management information systems
· One to two years of related experience
· An additional two years of directly related experience may substitute for each year of education (up to two years of education), if there is demonstrated knowledge, ability and skills to perform the work.
· A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may substitute for the experience requirement.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES (minimum requirements)
Depending on assignment, may require a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance and must maintain eligibility to drive as per the County's Vehicle policy.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT (legal or contractual pre-employment obligations and/or requirements, such as drug testing, background check, etc.)
A background check may be required initially and periodically for an individual hired, transferred, reclassified, promoted, or currently working in this job. Appointment to or continued employment in this job is contingent upon a satisfactory background check which may include, but is not limited to: confirmation of a persons’ identity; review of criminal conviction records; verification of educational degree, license, or certificate required for the position; review of Department of Motor Vehicles records; Department of Justice fingerprint scan; and/or drug and alcohol testing as required and allowable by law. A satisfactory background check is defined as the absence of a criminal history record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant's or employee's suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
Work involves gathering and analyzing information to determine the best course of action, based on general guidelines or rules of operations requiring the use of judgment to choose alternatives, many of which may be correct, but one is better than another depending on the situation. Errors at this level could cause serious, but short-term consequences involving significant financial impact or cost, reduced service to the public, and/or strong negative citizen reaction requiring intervention from a higher-level manager and could impact others outside of the department.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
· Work is performed in an office environment
· May be required to reach with hands and arms; sit; stand; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel
· May be required to lift/move up to 50 pounds (such as a personal · computers and peripherals)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, COMPETENCIES (minimum requirements)
· Knowledge of network operating systems and topologies and basic network procedures
· Proficient in the operation of personal computers, its components, auxiliary equipment and its interaction with other computer hardware
· Proficiency in English grammar, spelling, punctuation
· Knowledge of mathematical techniques applicable to the work
· Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with customers, co-workers, and vendors.
· Knowledge and ability to use a personal computer to perform required duties, as well as prepare reports, maintain records, search for and compile data
· Skill in operation of modern office equipment such as personal computer, facsimile, copiers, scanners and telephones
· Skill in researching and resolving problems in order to ensure compliance
· Skill in assessing clients needs and in assisting clients to seek solutions to problems
· Ability to install cable and connectors, configure hardware, network connections and any software that will be utilized
· Ability to comprehend, review and analyze complex data and follow complex instructions
· Ability to assess and provide training and guidance within area of specialized knowledge
· Ability to interpret and explain complex computer operations and applications in layman’s terms
· Ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethics and judgment
· Ability to think analytically and apply sound judgment, solve problems, make effective decisions, and act with integrity
· Ability to comprehend, process and apply both verbal and written skills appropriate to the job
· Ability to accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
· Ability to use County resources effectively and efficiently