Perform prescription verification duties in a dispensing pharmacy to deliver superior patient care and customer service. Monitor and manage the prescription process in the pharmacy. Assists in the daily activities of the pharmacy, including the development, oversight, and monitoring of services, in support of policies, goals, and objectives established by the General Manager. Responsible for managing the day-to-day activities in the closed-door long-term care pharmacy. Support an environment that promotes optimal efficiencies, staff retention and superior quality of business office employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
* Review prescriptions issued by physician, or other authorized prescriber to assure accuracy and determine formulas and ingredients needed.
* Compounds sterile and non sterile medications, using standard formulas and processes, such as weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients.
* Direct other pharmacy employees engaged in mixing, packaging, labeling and change to prescription orders.
* Responsible for the accuracy intake of prescription orders and the efficient fulfillment of orders; an.
* Dispense medications, support/counsel nursing facility staff on the use of prescription and over-the-counter medications, and advise physicians about medication therapy.
* Counsel nursing facility staff about general health topics, such as diet, exercise, and stress management, and provide information on products, such as durable medical equipment or home healthcare supplies.
* Establish and maintain methods and style of storage and record maintaining systems for providing safekeeping of medicines or pharmaceuticals
* Promote open communications between internal and external customers, to enhance cooperative efforts, improve pharmacy service and production performance.
* Ownership and accountability for the successful completion of all pharmacy production duties and tasks and achievement of pharmacy branch goals.
* Support customers after-hours, weekends, and holidays through on-call support process.
* Assist in promoting communication and adequate information flow throughout the pharmacy.
* Assist in the development of quality improvements and prescription order accuracy.
* Assist in the development and maintenance of interaction with physicians, residents and facility administrators regarding prescription and pharmacy consulting issues; responsible and accountable for positive customer relations.
* Assist in staff education on utilization management concepts and activities, pharmacy staff training, evaluation and development.
* Overall management of the IV Room
o Identification for areas of improvement in adherence to state and national standards of practice
USP 797 compliance, JCAHO compliance, etc.
o Directing admixtures, including Total Parenteral Nutrition in a centralized USP 797 clean room
o Directing medication-related initiatives to maximize patient safety and adherence to defined joint commission and regulatory guidelines
o Educate staff on proper aseptic hand washing, gowning and gloving skills, hood cleaning skills, and vial and ampule preparation skills as defined by the revised USP 797 guidelines on sterile preparations
o Develop and maintain adequate technician and pharmacist training, certification and documentation of the above mentioned USP 797 techniques on an annual basis
o Develop an IV Pump tracking policy to better manage usage and costs
* Monitor patient profiles to ensure safe and effective drug therapy
o Perform calculations involving intravenous flow rates, percent concentrations, and formulate standard intravenous drug dosage calculations
o Recommend cost effective alternatives for increased revenue based on patient cultures and sensitivities
o Peak and trough monitoring when appropriate
o Total Parenteral Nutrition monitoring
* Improve communication between the pharmacy and living centers in order to improve patient adhere to approved flushing protocols
* Ensure the prompt and accurate preparation and dispensing of IV medications
o Train assigned technicians to accurately enter IV medication physician orders prior to pharmacist review
o Educate pharmacists to perform calculations involving intravenous flow rates, percent concentrations, and formulate standard intravenous drug dosage calculations
* Act as a liaison between national pharmacy hubs
o IV related questions surrounding supplies and medications
o IV dosing and preparation questions
o USP 797 compliance
o JCAHO compliance
* Management of IV emergency kits
o Ensuring that adequate after hours supplies and medications are stocked and replenished
* Manage IV patients through an approved bi-monthly IV census spreadsheet
* Develop a preceptor program for student rotations through various affiliated schools of pharmacy
* Bachelors Degree in Pharmacy from an accredited college or school of pharmacy
* IV experience
* License to practice pharmacy is required in the state of the position is required. Must also be willing to obtain licensure for multiple states per request of the General Manager
* Supervisory experience preferred
* Must be able to show proven leadership abilities
* Must be able to communicate effectively
* Must be capable of maintaining regular attendance
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Behaviors:
* Review and assure regulatory compliance (OSHA, State Board of Pharmacy, etc.). as well as adhere to all Golden Living's ethics,policies and procedures.
* Understands, promotes and complies with rules and regulations governing residents' rights.
* Keeps abreast of current state, federal and company policies, procedures and regulations.
* Adhere to regulatory and company compliance, Code of Conduct and Business Ethics (OSHA,DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, etc.). Advise pharmacy staff on changes to any known regulatory changes/updates
* Must possess strong interpersonal skills
* Must have strong oral and written skills
* Must possess strong leadership abilities to coordinate multiple associates and provide direction to accomplish job functions
* Must have strong organizational and communication skills
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point or other Windows based software programs
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality regarding patient and company proprietary information
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
Mobility, reaching, bending, lifting (minimum of 10 pounds), fine hand coordination, ability to read and write, the ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and directions, ability to travel, and ability to remain calm under pressure.
Delivering the best possible care for our patients means having the best team. That's why we're committed to helping talented professionals like you achieve your professional goals on every level with:
* Management and clinical career ladders
* Ongoing education through Golden University
* Leadership training opportunities
* Company-paid trainings and certifications
* Mentoring programs and more
We are always seeking skilled professionals who are ready to take pride in their work and grow their expertise. We'll reward your dedication with a comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical insurance, retirement savings plans, paid time off and more. Join us and contribute your energy, experience and knowledge to redefining the future of care. Apply today!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status. Drug-Free Workplace.
Eden Prairie, MN
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
AlixaRx - 14 months ago
AlixaRx combines leading-edge technology with top clinical and operational talent.
Our mission is to deliver exceptional customer service...