The Feed Division Import/Export Logistics Manager is responsible for the movement of freight by ocean on behalf of exporters and importers. Serves as the point of coordination between external/internal customers, vendors, and shipping carriers. Identifies markets to be grown or maintained and develops appropriate business strategies. Ensures compliance with preferred carriers is maintained. The primary emphasis of the role is to effectively negotiate the best possible rates and manage the physical movement of assigned Import/Export commodities, via ocean vessel, and work with operations in the handling of all ocean freight related issues in a timely fashion while achieving the highest level of customer service.
- Drive the negotiation of competitive ocean freight rates and contracts directly with steamship lines and NOVCCs.
- Effectively manage contracts.
- Resolve ocean-based transportation problems in an effective and timely manner.
- Proactively manage and communicate transportation issues to Marketing Assistants, Marketers, and Management.
- Analyze current systems, processes and job functions relative to import/export shipments and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Align internal logistics processes with suppliers to maximize system capabilities and reduce costs.
- Promote company name and reputation in the marketplace.
- Provide industry leading service to both internal and external customers.
- Ensure high levels of integrity in all freight transactions.
Required Skills, Experience and Competencies:
- 5-8+ years hands-on experience in negotiating ocean freight rates, with a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Logistics, or Supply Chain Management, and/or an appropriate combination of experience and education.
- Knowledge of global freight forwarding and supply chain products and services.
- Proven ability to manage multiple stakeholder relationships and develop business opportunities.
- Strong understanding of import/export laws and activities.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Thorough working knowledge of domestic freight operations, rail and truck shipping laws, and transportation system optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively problem solve.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Must possess strong communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to build strong customer/vendor relationships.
- Requires strong computer skills including Microsoft Applications Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of JDE/similar ERP software preferred.
- Ability to accommodate occasional overnight travel.
- Commitment to professionalism while working with customers, vendors, and employees.
Wilbur-Ellis Company - 18 months ago