The Information Sciences Institute ( ISI ), part of the University of Southern California’s highly ranked Viterbi School of Engineering, is one of the nation’s largest and most successful university-affiliated computer science research institutes. USC - ISI supports federally sponsored research, and seeks an experienced person to fulfill Information Systems Security Officer( ISSO )/System Administrator (SA) roles and responsibilities to manage the classified security program for the University. This position is based in Marina del Rey, California. Occasional travel to the Arlington, Virginia office may be required to provide security support for that location.
Reporting to the Director of Security Operations, the ISSO /SA will:
- Manage implementation of higher level System Security requirements such as those resulting from laws, regulations and Government directives by developing system operating plans that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate and minimize risks associated with system vulnerabilities.
- Be responsible for inspection and revision of system plans for each accredited classified computer system. Document changes to system plans and special security requirements as needed.
- Provide day to day support to classified information systems including user account management and adherence to policies, procedures and best practices.
- Prepare and document individualized and specialized system security plans for Government approval.
- Review and revise these plans based upon analysis/interpretation of system components and the processing needs/objectives of each individual system custodian and user.
- Plan and conduct audits of approved systems. Perform weekly and ad-hoc self inspections and participate in external customer inspections.
- Design, develop and implement IT security training of Faculty and staff as needed.
- Provide support for COMSEC program and ensure introduction, protection and disposition of COMSEC equipment in accordance with applicable government directives.
- Engage with all levels of management, faculty and staff as well as with government security professional and government customers.
USC employees enjoy excellent benefits, including health and dental coverage, generous vacation and holiday accrual plans, a choice among several competitive retirement options, tuition assistance for staff members and their family, credit union membership, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events.
- The selected applicant must obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information eligibility and access. Eligibility for this clearance requires U.S. citizenship. A U.S. Government administered polygraph examination will be required. Current clearance a plus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar field.
- 5+ years’ experience in a security environment, and extensive demonstrated knowledge of management of all facets of technical and physical security of classified operations.
- Must demonstrate ability to write plans and Standard Operating Procedures, and implement new systems according to plan, including ICD 503 and NISPOM Chapter 8.
- In-depth knowledge of Windows based (desktop, Server and Exchange) operating systems, Red Hat Linux based operating systems, network and communication equipment, and peripherals.
- Ability to work in a self-directed, dynamic, deadline-driven, multi-tasking environment; a professional demeanor with excellent speaking, writing, and organization skills; and strong interpersonal and time management skills.
- Industry Security Professional ( ISP ) certification preferred.
- Continuous quality improvement focus desired.
The University of Southern California values diversity, and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. *
Minimum Field of Expertise
Supervises - Nature of Work
Preferred Field of Expertise
University of Southern California - 5 months ago