ODOT13-0240oc – Salem
This is a Limited Duration appointment that will/is expected to end on or before 12/01/2014 . Limited Duration appointments are regular status, benefits eligible, with a designated maximum length of service.
The Sr. Client Server Developer/Analyst position is part of the Transportation Applications Development Section (TAD) of ODOT's Information Systems Branch (ISB) located in Salem. The Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) unit is responsible for public facing systems like TripCheck.com and the 511 Travel Conditions telephone number. In addition, ITS is responsible for many internal mission critical ODOT systems that interact with roadside devices such as video cameras, digital freeway signs, ramp meters, and more. ODOT operations staff use these systems to communicate weather, incident and other event information with both the public and regional emergency responders.
As an experienced Client Server Developer/Analyst, the primary responsibility of this position is to develop, enhance, and maintain these systems. Projects vary from small maintenance releases to larger system upgrades. This position will work closely with business customers and other developers in a team oriented environment to meet challenging objectives for new features and product extensions. This position requires a highly motivated individual comfortable with rapid changes in direction and environment. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, approachable, dependable & reliable with good business sense and judgment. This position requires a positive self-starter with the ability to manage & prioritize multiple concurrent projects & operational tasks.
Duties are performed primarily in an office environment with extensive use of a computer terminal. Work requires managing projects with conflicting requirements and short timelines. Business needs require willingness to work irregular hours (weekends, holidays and nights) and to travel for job related purposes.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Must have and maintain a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
Instructions - Minimum Qualifications
The 'Work Experience' and/or 'Education' sections of your application must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed below; you must also answer supplemental questions.
A resume' or position description will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Minimum Qualifications :
Five years of professional consultative, technical, or administrative experience providing expert advice and leadership in planning, development, coordination, and implementation of information systems. Experience must include activities in:
Software: Software means the programs, procedures, rules, and associated documentation concerned with operating a system and covers both applications and operating software.
Data: Data means data bases and associated master files;
AND EITHER :
(a) at least 30 quarter (20 semester) credits in computer science;
(b) two more years of experience providing a knowledge of information systems theory and principles.
Examples of experience providing a knowledge of information systems theory and principles are: Providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional ISB staff, and system users in planning, analyzing, developing, and implementing the operation, maintenance, installation, modification, and construction of information systems; OR Working with vendors and contracted personnel to assess new technology, provide oversight, exchange information, and solve problems.
15 quarter (10 semester) graduate-level computer science, software engineering, information systems, or equivalent credits may substitute for one year of the professional experience.
The successful candidates will also possess the following desired experience:
Criminal Background and additional pre-employment check(s) as required for the position will be conducted on final candidates (could include Driver License, LEDS, and/or Education Verification).
- 4+ years’ experience developing windows applications and database driven, scripted websites.
- Significant industry experience in all aspects of the development process; including gathering end user requirements, coding, deployment, and the creation of documentation.
- Software unit testing, understanding of development “best practices” and code quality.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to create and update system documentation, reports, and communicate with the customer on the appropriate user level; able to understand and interpret customer requirements.
- Understanding of system security and application security best practices including code /system testing to detect vulnerabilities.
- Technical expertise with C#, .Net, ASP.Net, SOA, HTML, CSS, XML, SQL Server, including SQL Stored Procedures
Veteran's Points :
Honorable or General 'Character of Service' showing on a DD214 or DD215 attached to your application - 5 Points
Honorable or General 'Character of Service' showing on a DD214 or DD215 and a 'Certificate of Civil Service' preference letter attached to your application - 10 Points
For questions about the job announcement, call 503-986-3774.
For technical help with online application, call 1-877-204-4442.
Application Help: Application Help: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/HR/jobs/Application_Help.pdf
The main duties of this position focus on the following:
Additional duties include:
- Conceptualize, design and develop enhancements to existing Windows and web applications
- Implement and maintain databases used by applications
- System installation, configuration and maintenance support
- Provide troubleshooting & support of production systems issues
- Develop or modify software that changes/re-engineers business processes that have impact throughout the agency. [e.g. Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), TripCheck, etc.]
- Perform business analysis and requirement gathering that will automate current, new or changing/re-engineered business processes. This may include conducting joint application development sessions with other section personnel and end-users.
- Build customer specific applications coordinating the work with other sections and partners (both internal and external) to resolve conflicts and significant compatibility issues.
- Assume the technical architect role on specific projects as assigned. Facilitate open communication between analysts, DBA’s, developers, project managers, business representatives, other agencies and vendors regarding critical system interfaces, construction issues and installation activities.
- Contribute to the standards, business processes and strategic direction of TAD.
- Participate in meetings with business line and ISB staff to plan project priorities, assist in cost analysis and determine ISB and business resource needs to meet a project’s scope, schedule and budget.
- Research and evaluate new IT industry approaches and technology directions focusing on how they may be integrated into ODOT’s technology. Evaluate impacts to external agency interface applications.
- Test new technology with existing systems to identify compatibility issues and recommend solutions that will meet ODOT’s long term business needs.
- Diagnose complex system problems and crashes. Respond to failures of information systems that are critical to ODOT and other state agencies.
- Address complex user problems and questions for critical systems such as TripCheck, Transportation Operations Communication System, HAT 511, etc. Work with end users, team leads, ISB staff and other agencies to resolve problems to best meet the needs of all involved.
Electronic Application Checklist:
Veteran's Documents - If Applicable
Oregon Department of Transportation
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
Announcement information can be made available in an alternative format by calling 711 (Relay Operator for the Deaf).
ODOT does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT) for questions regarding Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
The Oregon State Government is expected to continue cost reduction measures including mandatory unpaid time off (furlough days) during the 2011-2013 biennium.
Agencies A to Z
Oregon Administrative Rules
Oregon Revised Statutes
Web Site Links
State of Oregon
- 2 years ago - save job